Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

New To Fly Fishing. Need Help With Knots

Hey guys I just got my first fly fishing combo and could use some help with tying knots. What kind of knot do you use for leader to your floating line or sinkin line? Also, I am a big bass fishing guy so do I just use like a clinch or palomar or normal knot to tie my fly on? Do any of you guys know of any good fly fishing instructional vids I can buy or watch on youtube on anything like casting techniques, flies to use, and knot tying. Also, I live in Lawrenceburg Indiana is there anywhere other than the Brookville tailwaters close by to me that has good trout or bass fishing? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New To Fly Fishing. Need Help With Knots

I use a uni knot to connect two lines. do an internet search and you'll find great knot-tying demos. you'll find that there are two uni knots--one for connecting two lines and another for terminal tackle.

I use the palomar knot for connecting a fly or, if the hook eye is too small, I use the Orvis knot. These are just easy for me to remember for some reason.

I don't know Lawrenceburg at all, but I fish mainly ponds and small lakes here in Louisville.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the fly fishing group.
    I use the "nail knot" to join the main fly line to the leader.
    My preference for tying the fly to the leader is the "pitzen knot".

See referenced thread for discussion of knots.....
    http://www.fishin.com/forums2/showthread.php?t=84569

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer a loop to loop connection for my fly line to leader. Most lines have a weight forward taper, particularly the lines that come on the combos. It makes it very easy to change leaders and in the end will keep more of the head, or front part of your fly line intact longer. On my fly line I cut the very tip of the line at a slight taper, turn it over onto the line to form about a half inch loop, tie that down with some nylon thread and coat it with fleximent or softex. I buy the cheaper leaders without a loop already tied on the thick end and just tie a perfection loop on it. You can find videos on youtube for both of these. If you have any trouble let me know and I'll find some and post links. Or you could go up to Forward Cast in St. Mathews or over to the fly shop at Bass Pro in Clarksville. There are good guys there that would be more than happy to help you out. Maybe check out Derby City Fly Fishers, they are always doing casting clinics and tying clinics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishinPhil View Post
    Hey guys I just got my first fly fishing combo and could use some help with tying knots. What kind of knot do you use for leader to your floating line or sinkin line? Also, I am a big bass fishing guy so do I just use like a clinch or palomar or normal knot to tie my fly on? Do any of you guys know of any good fly fishing instructional vids I can buy or watch on youtube on anything like casting techniques, flies to use, and knot tying. Also, I live in Lawrenceburg Indiana is there anywhere other than the Brookville tailwaters close by to me that has good trout or bass fishing? thanks
    First off, welcome to the force . Secondly, go back through the archives on this forum, and you will find a plethra of information for beginners....lots of good info. Thirdly, get on youtube and just search for fly fishing info, you'll get a TON of instructional videos. Lastly, for leader to fly line connections, everyone has their likes....I personaly use a nail knot...doesn't get caught up in your guides, comes out smoother IMO. Welcome again!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I use a nail knot to attach my leader to my fly line. For building tapered leaders or adding tippet I use a surgeons knot.

As for knots to tie on your fly, I use a palomar knot for poppers and streamers and a pitzen knot for small flies. I will also use the pitzen knot if I am fishing a popper with a concave head that sticks out further than the hook eye does.

Post Thanks / Like

Still there, you have received several responses?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, you still out there? You have received several responses to you questions! Were they helpful?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlyLie View Post
    Hello, you still out there? You have received several responses to you questions! Were they helpful?
    I don't know if they were helpful for him or not...but they sure have been helpful to me. Thanks!