Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Very scary info for Green River Lake

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    Before I retired, knew I was going to relocate somewhere.My first choice was the UP of michigan. After about a year of trying to buy the ideal property, gave up on it, sure 4 months of snow had a little to do with it. Next choice was Ottawa Il, at that time the illinois river was coming into some great fishing, but couldn't afford the place. Settled on Ky,because the salmon fishing was entering into a decline.The causes were over harvesting of the alewives, and diseases in several of the hatcherys.They solved the problem. But the boom in the sport fishing made up for any money spent. More big water boats were sold in the upper midwest than anywhere in the country. Charter fishing was booming in almost all the ports on the great lakes, millions in revenue was returned.The illinois river today is a threat to fishermen because of the big head carp, and the walleye and sauger fishing was ruined, also the white bass were almost all gone. These bigheads are edible and are eaten all over asia, so what happens? We import shrimp, cat fish, and tilapea, from asia, why???
    How about tariffs, that stop us from exporting, but allow those same coutrys to flood our markets. Wheres the level playing field?Its NOT big government its dumb government, and it didn't just start 4 yrs ago!
    Yep. I agree with we need to be able to send our fish overseas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    Before I retired, knew I was going to relocate somewhere.My first choice was the UP of michigan. After about a year of trying to buy the ideal property, gave up on it, sure 4 months of snow had a little to do with it. Next choice was Ottawa Il, at that time the illinois river was coming into some great fishing, but couldn't afford the place. Settled on Ky,because the salmon fishing was entering into a decline.The causes were over harvesting of the alewives, and diseases in several of the hatcherys.They solved the problem. But the boom in the sport fishing made up for any money spent. More big water boats were sold in the upper midwest than anywhere in the country. Charter fishing was booming in almost all the ports on the great lakes, millions in revenue was returned.The illinois river today is a threat to fishermen because of the big head carp, and the walleye and sauger fishing was ruined, also the white bass were almost all gone. These bigheads are edible and are eaten all over asia, so what happens? We import shrimp, cat fish, and tilapea, from asia, why???
    How about tariffs, that stop us from exporting, but allow those same coutrys to flood our markets. Wheres the level playing field?Its NOT big government its dumb government, and it didn't just start 4 yrs ago!
    Dumb gubment almost certainly started Jan. 20th 09. Thanks to stripPer fisherman, alewives invaded Cumberland. Thanks to hybrid fishermen they are showing up at Barren. The muskie fisherman that dumped the bucket of trout at Green actually helped fishing, unlike the KDWFR unleashing the greatest nemisis of SMALLMOUTH bass, the otter. I'd say kdfwr still has some splaining

Post Thanks / Like

The main reason i aways clean my kayak is too keep what is on it from going into other bodies of water.Was aways told when usig live bait don't dump excess into the water,never know what is in it.YMO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    Dumb gubment almost certainly started Jan. 20th 09. Thanks to stripPer fisherman, alewives invaded Cumberland. Thanks to hybrid fishermen they are showing up at Barren. The muskie fisherman that dumped the bucket of trout at Green actually helped fishing, unlike the KDWFR unleashing the greatest nemisis of SMALLMOUTH bass, the otter. I'd say kdfwr still has some splaining
    Funny you should mention the otters. A friend and I fished Green yesterday and saw a "pack" (or whatever they're called) of otters and we counted six in the group. They were chomping on some large baitfish in one of the pockets across from the State Resort Park. We also happened upon a large shad that was dying and I couldn't identify what type of "shad" it was, as I had never seen this before. Now it has me thinking I may have seen an Asian Carp , although I can't confirm this....