Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elkhorn Koi?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Elkhorn Koi?

Three lions: Not colored like the Prussian carp and not shaped like the wild goldfish.

Jcb, mhall: Native? Are you for real? Not saying you're wrong (I don't know and I know I don't know), but I'd be very surprised. Got anything to make me feel otherwise?

Dave: I was chucking hardware. Of course I pulled a small crank bait past them. I'll take the flyrod next time

Post Thanks / Like

After fishing Elkhorn and i seen some gold fish i decided too get a bow for my next float too shoot them and the carp i seen.Did that as a kid & tought i would try it from my kayak someday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Denver1911 View Post
    Three lions: Not colored like the Prussian carp and not shaped like the wild goldfish.

Jcb, mhall: Native? Are you for real? Not saying you're wrong (I don't know and I know I don't know), but I'd be very surprised. Got anything to make me feel otherwise?

Dave: I was chucking hardware. Of course I pulled a small crank bait past them. I'll take the flyrod next time
    I never said they were native I just said they were there. They come from thr fish hatchery's like the other fella said. I personally doubt if they are native myself..

Post Thanks / Like

I can see where you thought I agreed about being native though. I should have been more clear. I see them alot and have for several years now. I feel they come from floods and wash outs from the hatchery's.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen them for 45 years, but "native" was probably the wrong word to use. I don't think they all could have come from the hatchery because I've seen them in all forks of the creek. Maybe they're a hybrid sort, I've been told aquarium goldfish will breed with carp etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I was fishing Lake John Hay just north of Salem, In. one year. Was back in one of the coves on the lake fishing, looked down and saw one of the biggest white goldfish i ever did see. The fish had to be at least 18" long and looked like a football. It was one of those Bug eyed goldfish with the Triangle type tail. The fish had to weigh every bit of 6 lbs. or more.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 55 & remember seeing Gold fish & carp in Mi in the great lakes when i was a kid.I would think that they are just carp that are gold in color.I even speared 1 that was 3ft long & weight was 26lbs.I could not tell what color it was till i had it out on the ice,it was gold.YMO that all gold fish are just a carp.