Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elkhorn Koi?

Post Thanks / Like

Elkhorn Koi?

Floated a section of the Elkhorn last week and saw two Koi (I assume they were Koi anyway). Anybody else seen any there? Will they cause problems?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Elkhorn Koi?

been fishin elkhorn for over 20 yrs and do occasionally see small schools of about a dozen or so swimming around. Dont know if they are koi or what but dont guess they hurt anything. never see more than that at a time and only see them every once in a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure that they aren't small carp?

DAVE

Post Thanks / Like

No. I am not sure. I am not familiar with all carps and don't even really know much about koi other than that what I see in decorative ponds and the like. These fish did not look like any native Kentucky carp, but sure did look like the fish people call koi. They were goldfish orange and one of them was a combo of goldfish orange and white. Based on what knowledge I have, I'd say they were koi, but they may be some form of non-native carp though.

Post Thanks / Like

no not carp, they are a big goldfish with long fins just like koi. I worked at a golf course as a teenager and they had the same fish in their ponds, just decorative fish. probably someones that got out of their ponds during a flood. the ones i have seen have been golden and some have been white and gray spots

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the Prussian Carp and Goldfish photos in my gallery here: http://www.pbase.com/leighite/fish

These fish were caught in a local pond and were released into that pond by a well-meaning person from their koi pond. Do they look like what you are seeing?

DAVE

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen them all my life, I'm pretty sure they are native. Same as you, some orange, some orange/white.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    I've seen them all my life, I'm pretty sure they are native. Same as you, some orange, some orange/white.
    YEP, Bingo, see them all the time in there in one section I fish and some of them are quite large.

Post Thanks / Like

If you ever go to the hatchery in Peaks Mill you will notice that they feed the pond fish with feeder goldfish. I had a friend that worked there several years ago. When they drain a pond or have a flood these goldfish go into the creek. I have seen several over the years that are quite large.

Post Thanks / Like

i am 65 yrs old and i remeber seeing gold fish in the rolling fork river in marion county that my uncle caught when i was just a boy lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Denver1911 View Post
    No. I am not sure. I am not familiar with all carps and don't even really know much about koi other than that what I see in decorative ponds and the like. These fish did not look like any native Kentucky carp, but sure did look like the fish people call koi. They were goldfish orange and one of them was a combo of goldfish orange and white. Based on what knowledge I have, I'd say they were koi, but they may be some form of non-native carp though.

Did you put a fly on them???

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln park lagoon in chicago is full of them, and guess what? They will hit a small rapala.Found that out by accident while fishing for salmon who return back to the lagoon.