Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Attention: Tournament Fishermen.

Backwaters in Lexington is coordinating a tournament on Lake Herrington with an organization called "The faces of coal". This is a FREE ENTRY FEE TOURNEY. Guaranteed Cash. This is going to be a very good tourney for an even better cause. Call John or Brad at Backwaters in Lexington for complete details. You will not want to miss this event. 859-266-4506

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Attention: Tournament Fishermen.

Quote Originally Posted by WEBBY View Post
    Backwaters in Lexington is coordinating a tournament on Lake Herrington with an organization called "The faces of coal". This is a FREE ENTRY FEE TOURNEY. Guaranteed Cash. This is going to be a very good tourney for an even better cause. Call John or Brad at Backwaters in Lexington for complete details. You will not want to miss this event. 859-266-4506

Is this organization not called Friends of Coal

Post Thanks / Like

Not the same as Friends of Coal, but they are connected.

Here's their homepage: http://www.facesofcoal.org/

And here's some other info about them that is worth reading: http://appvoices.org/2010/06/29/5371/

In reality, the current practice of mountain top removal to gain access to coal results in the filling of thousand of hollows and and miles of streams with rock and dirt. These materials placed in streams result in widespread contamination downstream and extreme amounts of sediment deposits that destroy all forms of aquatic life, including the death of aquatic bugs and fish. These streams are also the headwater sources of drinking water downstream and are the source of water for many of the lakes and rivers we fish in KY.

Ironically, the coal industry and their front groups like Faces/Friends of Coal like to talk about how environmental regulations are killing jobs, but the truth is that mountain top removal provides far fewer jobs and much greater environmental harm that underground mining. Although underground mining is more expensive, I would pay more for electricity to prevent the environmental damage.

As much as I would like to compete in a free entry tourney for this level of payout, my conscience won't allow it. I urge my fellow fishermen to boycott this tourney.

I don't believe I've ever quouted scripture before, but this seems very appropriate:

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? [Matt 16:26]

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I went to the meeting. I decided not to fish it though. I have a feeling it is going to be a cluster over there on Saturday. They are letting a pro fish the tournament. I'm going to fish at Green that day instead.

Post Thanks / Like

who is the pro thats fishing ? I agree its prob going to be pretty tight everyone trying to put in at that one ramp?

Post Thanks / Like

Probably Bradley Roy. My partner went to meeting 140+ boats signed up!!!! Too many for the big H. Fish and wildlife will be on the lake with 3 boats. Good luck.....

Post Thanks / Like

It will be a good turnout and I'm sure it will be as organized as possible. Brad and John and the Backwaters crew always put on a top notch event. Everyone should try to get there early if at any way possible. Come out and support these guys!

Post Thanks / Like

I will be there. I use to live in eastern ky and i seen how cutting back on coal is hurting that area. Not only are we fishing for a good cause but its free and u cant beat that. I also know these guys and i think they will do their very best to see that it goes the best it can.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to the meeting, and the turnout was huge, it's going to be a tough one to win, there's going to be a lot of great anglers there. I'm assuming the pro Carter1 is talking about is Shawn Murphy.

Post Thanks / Like

No, it was Bradley Roy. He's not my reason for not fishing it but I do not think it is right to alllow a "pro" to fish what I thought was supposed to be a tournament for us weekend angler types.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't have any gripe with it, I'm actually glad to see Shawn fishing it. He cut his teeth on that lake, and it's great to see him doing well on the FLW tour. Plus he's a Nich-vegas boy.

Post Thanks / Like

What are the details of the tournament an can you sign up the morning of the tournament ?