Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jig rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Jig rod?

Im starting to throw jigs more and more. My attention hasn't allowed me to fish this slow. I'm working on it. My setup now is bps 7' heavy action rod. Not happy with it. I think it's the heavy action that's bothering me. Although I like longer rods i'm not sure I do for this application.
    Looking for some help on a new rod for jig fishing. What do you guys suggest on length, action, and brand? Not looking for the best just something middle of the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jig rod?

Hard to beat the new Loomis GL2's. Either a 803 or an 853 should work perfectly. And less than $200. The new Shimano Crucial looks and feels great, however I have not fished with one yet. They are also less than $200

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CMIDD View Post
    Hard to beat the new Loomis GL2's. Either a 803 or an 853 should work perfectly. And less than $200. The new Shimano Crucial looks and feels great, however I have not fished with one yet. They are also less than $200
    g.Loomis IMX 6'6. Med-Heavy. Matched with a Curado 200 superfree.

I ONLY throw jigs with this setup. Sometimes I throw jigging spoons with it, but mostly it is my jig rod.

LOVE IT.

Later,

gEo

Post Thanks / Like

I am far from being an expert but in my opinion, you need a 7' rod in order to get a good hook set. I agree that the heavy action is whats bothering you. I use medium heavy only, no more or no less. I personally think the key to a good jig rod is the sensitivity. You really need to feel those subtle bites. I find that is worth a little extra money for a good rod. You don't have to spend hundreds but Bass Pro has some good name brands for around $100 that work very well. I prefer Falcon rods. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a St. Croix 7' 8" Mojo Bass medium heavy with an Ardent F700 Denny Brauer Flippin/Pitching reel. It is really sensitive, you can even feel bluegill pecking at the jig. I get a super hookset too. Yanked one fish clear out of the water on Saturday. He wasn't very big.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you like the ardent 700? Can you still cast with that reel?

Post Thanks / Like

This depends on type of jig fishing you will be doing. From your post i assume casting a jig which means 3/8 ounce to 1/2. For this setup i prefer a 6'6" or 6'8" med to med heavy with 12 to 15lb fluoro (seaguar invisix). You really want a soft tip so as to not over work the bait.

for football heads and flipping then go to a 7' plus rod with 15lb to 25 lb flouro. You need more backbone as typically it is either in heavier cover (flipping/pitching) with not a lot of movement on bait needed. The football head is drug most of the time much like a carolina rig therefore the over movement is negated.

For both sensitivity is a must. Most bites are not felt just a heavy feeling or slight tic on the fall.

Check on rods sold by Cumberland Pro Lures on the web out of Somerset Ky. For the money (125 - 200) they perform as well as any of the 3 Loomis rods I own but dont break mommas piggy bank to buy. Contact Brian Wilson with Cumberland Pro and give one a try tell him I sent you.

Chris Burton

Post Thanks / Like

I throw a 7'4 Heavy Cumara....With that being said I do most of my jig fishing in 12-20ft....When fishing deep the longer rod is a must for moving line on a hookset....The heavy action also helps get the larger diameter hook to penetrate...If you aren't going to be fishing deep I'd say you could go down to a MH but I wouldn't go any lower....Also fluoro helps with the hooksets as it has no stretch

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know as much as most posting on this, but...

I fish shaky heads & light jigs all the time. I virtually never go over 5/16 oz. I also almost never fish deeper than 10 feet deep in the little lakes I fish. I fish wood some, but never fish grass, weeds, etc. I use a medium action, 6'6" Team American Rodsmiths rod that is incredibly sensitive.

This is not acceptable for the way most fish jigs, but it works for me VERY well.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a quantum pt energy with a bps rxc or rcx reel 7:1:1 absolutely love it, got to slow down my retrieve but the reel is great to get them out of the cover quick. Rod is $100 reel was $79 on sale

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eddie_m View Post
    I'll be the first to admit that I don't know as much as most posting on this, but...

I fish shaky heads & light jigs all the time. I virtually never go over 5/16 oz. I also almost never fish deeper than 10 feet deep in the little lakes I fish. I fish wood some, but never fish grass, weeds, etc. I use a medium action, 6'6" Team American Rodsmiths rod that is incredibly sensitive.

This is not acceptable for the way most fish jigs, but it works for me VERY well.
    I think there are different rods for different jig applications.

The "experts" will tell you a rod stiff as aboard and 7ft long.....When Jigging heavy brush, I use a 6'6 Med-Heavy Loomis IMX. when finess jigging, like down at Dale in late season or early season (Nov - March), then I use a 7'4 bronzeback or a 6'6 IMX medium spinning with 6lb line.

At Dogwood, when dropping jigs into those monster lilly pads, I like a HEAVY rod with 40lb braid............

It all depends on application.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

I bet a 7ft medium heavy would fit 99% of your needs. I always liked the loomis 3 power rods......I do have a 7-6 MH Cumara that has quickly become one of my favorite rods for jigs though. I like the fast and extra fast rods.