Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Basic Education from Another Angle

FlyLie mentioned that Joe the Plumber needed a basic education to run for political office and I remembered reading the Last Will of a very famous politician. I thought you all would enjoy reading it. Be sure and note the completion of unfinished words that are within the <symbols> like this, and also the misspelling of some of the words. This is the portion regarding his slaves.

George Washington's Last Will
    Mt. Vernon, 9 July 1799.

http://gwpapers.virginia.edu/documen...very/eman.html
    Last edited by bassin_bug; 10-12-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Basic Education from Another Angle

Some SUCCESSFUL folks without a degree:

http://www.collegedropoutshalloffame.com/

Some VERY SUCCESSFUL folks........billionaires without an education.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with you Geo.

My husband's dad could neither read or write but it didn't keep him from prospering. That 900 acre farm made him a millionaire through hard work and an amazing knowledge of management. He died at the age of 95 and was healthy up until the last two years. I guess that proves that hard work won't kill a person.

Post Thanks / Like

You know when I thought this Joe guy might run for office I thought about it and thought it would be a good idea for a regular Joe off the street to run. Someone who is NOT a lawyer so he is not corrupt but is knowledgeable about politics and the 2 party system you have. Alot of people on this site could run cuz you folks know alot about your politics. I mean I was thinking about the founding fathers of our countries were good decent honest men and they did a great job without any fancy degrees and nobel peace prizes. That confirmed my thoughts when Bugsy posted George Washingtons will. So I hope someday someone will run who is a regular guy or gal and I think if they present themselves well they will relate to the people and do very well. I think that was the reason Sarah Palin was liked was that she was introduced as a soccer mom, just a regular woman with a family and job. We can see how popular she became. I would like to see someone do that again.

Post Thanks / Like

One problem, the cost of running, even for a local office, by an average, honest guy is staggering. Then there are those who dont want an uncorruptble guy anywhere near public office.

Post Thanks / Like

another problem: the entrenched politicians would ostracize anybody in congress who didn't play their games.

Thanks for posting, Bug.

Post Thanks / Like

Be nice to see a Joe the Plumber run for every seat in the House and the Senate and get rid of all the dead beats in Congress.....

And a man like Doug Christie be the POTUS....

Get a repeal enacted to get all those Congress members retirement system abolished and make them only elgible for SSI, like the rest of the American people.....

No more of this crap of being paid your Congress salary for life after only serving 1 term in Congress...You want a Retirement..well stay in Office for 20 years, then you'll earn your Retirement pay..Just liek the rest of the Federal worker's....BTW..it'll be like the military Retirement..50% of your base pay is all your gonna get....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsgMills View Post
    You want a Retirement..well stay in Office for 20 years, then you'll earn your Retirement pay.
    20 years is way to long for some of the idiots we have up there on the hill...

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you, education doesn't always make a person. I know some seriously educated idiots.........Some of the wisest people I have ever known weren't highly educated..