Search Fishin.com

Thread: Hatchery creek

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Hatchery creek

Fished the Hatchery Creek that comes out of the hatchery at Cumberland River. Place was pretty packed. Used wet flies and hooked into some big fish. Couldn't believe it when I hooked a 16" in one of the small pools. I didn't think they stocked them that big. Played for about five minutes and drew a crowd. Sadly my small nymph popped out of his mouth. I'm just glad I got to fight him. Lost another fish or two before I successfully landed a nice twelve incher. Great day on the creek, can't wait to go back.
    -Rico

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hatchery creek

Quote Originally Posted by Rico13 View Post
    Fished the Hatchery Creek that comes out of the hatchery at Cumberland River. Place was pretty packed. Used wet flies and hooked into some big fish. Couldn't believe it when I hooked a 16" in one of the small pools. I didn't think they stocked them that big. Played for about five minutes and drew a crowd. Sadly my small nymph popped out of his mouth. I'm just glad I got to fight him. Lost another fish or two before I successfully landed a nice twelve incher. Great day on the creek, can't wait to go back.
    -Rico
    I will tell you this since I am moving Rico, lol....if you go down below the handicap section, to the section that runs down to the CR...this time of year, into the winter, there are spawners up in there doing there thing. It used to be that we would catch as many 20+" browns and bows as our arms would hold up to! The spawn has dramatically reduced over the past two years with the poor CR water conditions, but there will still be a few in there....throw a glow bug with a bh black zebra midge dropper in there...fish the few pools right below the culvert. I caught a 30" brown there three years ago, biggest brown to date for me! Good luck!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt so nice trout below that culvert if not in that culvert. Have caught many a good trout out of there.

Post Thanks / Like

They used to release some nice one's in there for the kids fishing rodeo, not sure if they still do but I would expect they do.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing Hatchery creek is feast or .......!, depends on when and how many trout the hatchery released. PS, a lot of the local "meat fisher persons" will pack the banks, using corn, cheese, etc and fish out the creek pretty quickly.

For your info, live video feed from "Hatchery Creek"

http://lakecumberland.com/allcamz.php?hc

Post Thanks / Like

Was also surprised when I pulled an 16" followed quickly by an 18" rainbow out of there in the middle of November last year. Reckon all the bait chuckers had filled their freezers already. Don't get me wrong there where a few who came and hung out for a while but they where targeting walleyes in the river. Caught a few more nice fish in the creek but the real action was down at the confluence with soft hackles. Caught some nice ones down there that day.

Anyone have a report on the brookies? I am quite curious to know if anyone has caught any lately and how they seem to be doing. Are they growing I guess is the real question.

Post Thanks / Like

Caught a couple two weekends ago, about 12" long. Those little guys can hit a dry with some force Lost my camera for a few weeks so, sorry no pics

Post Thanks / Like

We have been catching brookies regularly in the 12-14 inch range. Two weekends ago we pulled one at 15.5 just above Helms Landing.

I'm pulling out of the driveway in 15 minutes to head down for the weekend. You'll see me in the green Towee.