Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Boat size (safety related) question

Hi, I didn't see a intro section, so I guess I will jump right in and ask a question with my first post.

I am very close to pulling the trigger on buying a Lund 16 foot aluminum boat. I would probably use it mostly on Barren River lake, Nolin, and Lake Malone with my wife, and two small children. I just wanted some opinions from people that are familiar with those lakes if that size is safe. We will just be taking it slow fishing, and enjoying the lake, nothing reckless.

Everything I have read, and everyone I have spoken to has told me Lunds are especially sturdy and safe boats. I guess I just wanted to hear from some people who frequent those lakes for some last moment reassurance before I place my order.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat size (safety related) question

You should be fine.

I've used a 16' semi-v Starcraft on KY and Barkley Lakes in some severe weather and large waves without issues. You have to know how to navigate during those conditions and know the limitations of your craft.

Lund is pretty popular on the great lakes - Barren, Nolin, and Malone are nowhere near the same category as the great lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished nolin for years in a 14' alum. Boat. Never had a problem. Most of the time there were 2 of use, sometimes 3. With a 16' lund, you should be fine.
    2 tips
    1. Watch the weather, the wind will blow an alum. Boat around more than a fiberglass one.
    2. The way all 3 of these lakes are laid out, you have good fishing close to most of the ramps. Decide where/what you want to fish, then put in at the closest ramp. (what i mean is, fish rock, timber, flats or points.)\
    tr

Post Thanks / Like

I know from experience you will be fine. I have fished on Barren numerous times in boats ranging from 15-20'. Barren will be the biggest you fish, so I know you will be fine with a boat that size.

Post Thanks / Like

You will be fine. I have a 17 foot Lund, which I use on large lakes such as Lake Cumberland. I have had no problems pointing it to 3-4 foot waves (rollers). Just take it slow and easy and try to stay dry....

Post Thanks / Like

Just to be on the safe side, if you have your family with you and one of those big cruisers passes by please take the time to turn the bow into the waves. We have a 20 foot Skeeter and sometimes waves will crash over it's stern. It'll sure scare the bejeebers out of you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for you replies. I thought it should be safe, but with two young children, I just had to be reassured.

Post Thanks / Like

Without having to start another thread, I'll ask a second question here and hope it gets seen.

How hard is it to launch a boat in winter time when the lakes are low? Are certain ramps designed for the lower water levels?

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

depends on the size. its a little bit harder but make sure you keep your winch attached until your ready to unload- i have heard some horror stories about people backing their boat down and the runners be frozen over and loosing the boat on the ramp before hitting the water.

Post Thanks / Like

You made a good choice, the Lund is one of the best made aluminum boats built.You should have no problems on any inland lake in Ky, maybe KY lake on a strong wind will be rough.I'd uggest a 24 volt trolling motor if you can afford it, the wind does raise cain with a semi vee boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Malone is a water shed lake. It does not go down to "winter pool." At Barren you can put in at the ****, Baileys, State, Narrows at winter pool. Nolin I have only put in a Moutidear at Winter Pool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    You made a good choice, the Lund is one of the best made aluminum boats built.You should have no problems on any inland lake in Ky, maybe KY lake on a strong wind will be rough.I'd uggest a 24 volt trolling motor if you can afford it, the wind does raise cain with a semi vee boat.
    Thanks for the tip. Would I have to order the boat specially wired for a 24 volt trolling motor? Would the batteries and chargers need to be different?