Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Tournaments

This is kind of a broad general question. I'm not a tournament guy but I certainly appreciate why some of you are. Wished I could be, just ain't got time for everything in this life I guess...anyway, I really do need to start playing the lottery.

I recieve an electronic news letter from the American Bass Anglers (ABA), I was just noticing their 2012 schedule consisted of what looked to be a lot of lakes down in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida and Georgia...Tennessee Lakes had their share of up coming tournaments too (Center Hill, Percy Priest, Old Hickory, Guntersville, Chickamauga, Loudon/Tellico, Watts Bar), Indiana had a couple of lakes plus they had the Ohio River on their schedule (launching in Indiana at Rocky Point and Tanners Creek).

My question is this....the only ABA Tournaments in Kentucky are at Barkley and Kentucky Lakes. Is this because these are the only two large lakes in Kentucky with AAA Quality bass fishing? I always thought Green River Lake was pretty good, but maybe it's not large enough to handle an ABA Tournament? Also...I wonder how come Dale Hollow isn't on the list for the tournaments held in Kentucky or Tennessee either one, not that I care to see more tournaments on Dale, but I've always considered Dale to be a class AAA fishery.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bass Tournaments

There used too be 3 divisions on the draw trail.I took over Div.33 for 1 yr.Had major change in my like and had too give up after working hard too build it up too about 20 anglers at most dates.Was on Green,Nolin,Rough,Barren.The guys who took over last yr must have gave up running it too.I don't think alot of the anglers know how hard it is too run them.Most are great bunch but there are a few that can make it a rotten job.I have found the rivers & creeks are much more fun too play & fish in than the lakes.Just too many clubs & tournament trails too on any lake for most part.I picked dates and posted them on the KYFW site thinking i would be the only Tournament at a ramp & have 4 or 5 more tournaments show up on that date.If all the directors would post their dates would have made it better.ABA has or did have a great Angler of the yr tournament.O well thats the past & now i'm a River Basser.Last season they gave away 3 kayaks at every tournament not just the Classic.I was only 3/4 inch away from a win.Have caught a SM that got me a Angler Award & fish alot more from NC too MI.Green fishing & no dead because its CPR now.
    River Basser
    Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of the tournament locations depends upon having a tournament director in the area to conduct the events.

I'm sure ABA would have a Taylorsville Lake division if someone stepped up to do it, or any lake in KY for that matter, but like Terry said it's no easy task and few are willing to do it.

I think low entry fee team tournaments are getting more popular too and taking away a lot of boats from other trails with higher entry fees. Such an example is like USA Bassin' with several divisions of team tournaments with only a $60 entry fee....you split that two ways and it's a pretty cheap day on the water. Plus, it gets a lot of guys on the water that are just getting started into tournament fishing and don't have the time or money to spend on high stakes events.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok...good answers. That's what I was wondering....so it's not the fishery as much as it is having someone to handle taking care of the even itself.

Thanks guys...