Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pay Lakes for Children

Can anyone tell me of good pay lakes, to take my two children to, near Louisville, KY? Looking for catfish or bluegill. Also, I've never been to a pay lake. Can you tell me how they work? About how much per person? Do you have to pay for the fish when you leave? Do you have to clean them while you are there?

We've tried Fisherman's Park and other places, but being that my kids are 2 and 4, their attention span just isn't there very long. Hoping to get them excited about fishing and take them out when my husband cannot go with us.

Thanks, in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pay Lakes for Children

honestly if i were you i wouldn't go to a pay lake with kids that young. the people that fish there can be extremely rude sometimes and it is usually around 15 per person. plus alot of paylakes close this time of year.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree take them somewhere to like a stream where they can throw rocks and play. Regardless if they catch fish or not they'll have fun. Their not gonna take the time and put out the effort to catch a fish like you will. Freeman lake in E-town would be a good spot as they are keeping the lake lower than normal for some kinda work. banks aren't grown up and lots of exploring for them on the banks. plenty of ducks too. If you want them to fish that young fun is where it's at. Pay lakes can get awful boring to a young child.

Post Thanks / Like

Take them to the Game Farm in Frankfort. They can then take a tour of some really good wildlife exhibits too! Gest Creek in Shelbyville also has a great place that you can pull off the side of the road and walk down to a nice fishing beach. That lake has some good cat fishing in it. These places are free also.

Go to this link and look around. You will find some places to go.http://fw.ky.gov/navigation.aspx?cid=110

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christeena123 View Post
    We've tried Fisherman's Park and other places, but being that my kids are 2 and 4, their attention span just isn't there very long.
    Don't worry so much about them getting into fishing just yet, it will come with time. Whether they fish or not, just taking them to the pond to throw rocks, look for critters, and get a love for the outdoors is the most important thing for now....the fishing will come with time.

I know when I was really little, I think I had just as much fun throwing a casting plug trying to hit a floating bottle more than anything. At home I even set up targets in the yard and practiced casting at them. Granddad took me fishing one time, and got mad that I wouldn't hardly leave my bobber and worm in the water because I kept wanting to make casts instead trying to catch a fish. Kids like fast action, so keep that in mind.

Post Thanks / Like

In the long run it would be cheaper for you to buy yourself a fishing license,the kids are free at that age and go to small public lakes or some creeks where you can catch bluegills easy and do like others said,let the kids throw rocks and explore.
    I took my kids along from the time they were young babies and patience is the key,understanding that a kid has a shorter attention span and likes to keep busy.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/6...ingpics003.jpg

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7...ingpics002.jpg

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2766/sfish3x.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I congratulate you for wanting to get your kids intrested in the outdoors. One idea is get some cheap rod/reels, put casting plugs, sinkers, or anything. I.e. Washers, small bolts/nuts, anything. Make targets like buckets, old towles, whatever, and play with them in the yard. If you live in an apartment, go to the park, most kids love a contest. That will get them used to casting. You all will have a ball... Tr

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. They both really like to fish, at least the idea of it. My 4 year old casts a real kid's rod with hook and all. He actually does very well (yes, this was after using the rubber plug in our front yard many times). He baited his first worm a few days ago. I basically cast my two year old's line and she spends her time reeling it in. I am completely patient with them and am not too worried if they get fish or not. I just wanted to see how they would respond to more fish action and was hoping that would hold their attention a little more and be a bit more exciting on the fishing part. On the other hand, I am hope that fishing will teach them patience.

They typically fish for about 10 min (normal small child attention span) and then do move on to picking flowers or finding bugs (can't wait till we use one as bait!)

I had no idea pay lakes had such grumpy people. Thanks for the heads up on that. We will stay away from them. Thank you for the tips on places to go. We will definitely check them out. They love to feed ducks! Many places are over grown, so it's good to hear there is a local place I can take them to without worrying as much about snakes.

Christeena

Post Thanks / Like

[Got my grandaughter a princess rod 2 years ago, she would stand in the back yard and cast for an hour sometimes but never wanted to fish. She's 6 now and caught her first fish last week. Now she wants to fish and thinks it is great fun. My grandson was the same way. The key is to just let them figure out what fun it is. Also they have thrown their share of rocks into the creeks and ponds.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to spend some $ for a special occasion, you can rent boats at Guist Creek Lake in Shelbyville. It's something like $45 for the day. Then, you can putt around the lake a bit, which is fun no matter what. Also, in May & June at Guist, you can catch tons of panfish near all the stick-ups near shore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
    Take them to the Game Farm in Frankfort. They can then take a tour of some really good wildlife exhibits too! Gest Creek in Shelbyville also has a great place that you can pull off the side of the road and walk down to a nice fishing beach. That lake has some good cat fishing in it. These places are free also.

Go to this link and look around. You will find some places to go.http://fw.ky.gov/navigation.aspx?cid=110
    I would look into the game farm as well. Not too far of a drive - but plenty of stuff to do and see besides fish, if they get tired of that.

They have two stocked pond/lakes, and one is for children only. It is stocked with a variety of fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Col Forbin View Post
    They have two stocked pond/lakes, and one is for children only. It is stocked with a variety of fish.
    I don't believe either lake at the KF&W Headquarters are for children only although I will agree that the Upper Sportsman's lake is aimed at children taking up the sport.

Salato Wildlife Centre is just to the rear of the lakes so this would be a great way to introduce the kids to both fishing and the interesting wildlife of Kentucky. Salato is home to bald eagles, wildcats, elk, turkey, bears, buffalo and much more. The great thing is that it all free to do. Just be sure that the adults have a fishing licence seeing as you'll be in KF&W's back yard.

Enjoy!

DAVE