Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Did Americans Take the Mexicans Jobs?

Alabama has recently enacted a tough law on illegal Mexicans and they are hauling @ss out of the state. Occasionally I see cargo vans hauling Mexicans and they're stuffed in so tight they are almost sitting on each other. All are headed south, going back to Mexico.

This is what happened when Americans took their jobs: (Scroll down below the picture of the farmer).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1023635.html

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did Americans Take the Mexicans Jobs?

Why work when the government pays you to sit on your behind? Stop this stupid trend of free handouts and when these workers get good and hungry, then they'll work.
    Likes dragmerc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassin_bug View Post
    Alabama has recently enacted a tough law on illegal Mexicans and they are hauling @ss out of the state. Occasionally I see cargo vans hauling Mexicans and they're stuffed in so tight they are almost sitting on each other. All are headed south, going back to Mexico.

This is what happened when Americans took their jobs: (Scroll down below the picture of the farmer).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1023635.html
    This looks like a good start. Americans will take the jobs for a decent wage. Farmers will just have to pay more for human resources and their profits will be a little less. That is one of the reasons the for the law. It will be rough on farmers that have been used to dirt cheap labor at first but they will adapt or go under.
    Likes dragmerc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fish View Post
    Why work when the government pays you to sit on your behind? Stop this stupid trend of free handouts and when these workers get good and hungry, then they'll work.
    Have to disagree with you on that one. Lots of people out of work and yes the economy isn't helping matters. However why hire us when they can hire an illegal at a fraction of the cost? Agreed some people will take advantage of the hand outs yet there are countless numbers of illegals taking wages from us. I remember in the 80's living in Texas as my foreman was needing help on his farm. I told him I would work for $5per hour. He told me he could hire an illegal for $20 a day. There are dead beats no doubt. To make possibly $250 a day picking tomatoes I'm sure there are those who can do it. As stated they've been hiring them for the past forty years. There's a trick to every trade and I'm sure there's one for picking tomatoes. Nafta sent a lot of jobs to Mexico and a lot of illegals coming our way to work. And not just in the farms. Sure there working long hours making all they can. They have to they don't know when they'll get busted and shipped out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom523 View Post
    Americans will take the jobs for a decent wage. Farmers will just have to pay more for human resources and their profits will be a little less. That is one of the reasons the for the law. It will be rough on farmers that have been used to dirt cheap labor at first but they will adapt or go under.
    I'd think they'd be more than likely to raise the cost of their produce and pass along their added costs to me and you. It happens all the time for everything else, extended periods of dry weather, extended periods of excessive rains, etc...may as well throw in the cost of higher paid labor too.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

To be safe, let's build an Alamo in Frankfort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chubminnow View Post
    I'd think they'd be more than likely to raise the cost of their produce and pass along their added costs to me and you. It happens all the time for everything else, extended periods of dry weather, extended periods of excessive rains, etc...may as well throw in the cost of higher paid labor too.
    This is true but in a slow economy, people don't have the money to buy the higher priced tomatoes and the buyers don't have the luxury of sitting on a crop of tomatoes until the economy gets better. Say you're a buyer for Kroger and you approach a farmer and he has raised his prices of tomatoes. You know exactly how many tomatoes you bought and sold at last years budget. You know the economy is worse his year and won't sell as many tomatoes as last year. Then you look at the higher price and say I'll buy even less this year. The farmer is now sitting on a bunch of tomatoes that he can't sell. He hauls them all out to the field and uses them for fertilizer. Then writes off the tomatoes that he dumped on his taxes as a loss.

Post Thanks / Like

They went from slave's to labor their fields to screwing the share croppers. Now they resort to illegal immigrants.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not that sorry for some farmers! A lot of them are getting subsidized payments for crops. I have in-laws, they havn't planted cotton in 20 years. But they share crop, and still get some government susidy.They are only keeping the land for their children, who have no interest at all in agriculture.They never have a problem with the share croppers because they arew very generous with the deals they make. They live in far west TN close to some of the poorest areas in america. If they didn't lease the land, and just let natural grass grow, guess what? yep a subsidy for that also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    Have to disagree with you on that one. Lots of people out of work and yes the economy isn't helping matters. However why hire us when they can hire an illegal at a fraction of the cost? Agreed some people will take advantage of the hand outs yet there are countless numbers of illegals taking wages from us. I remember in the 80's living in Texas as my foreman was needing help on his farm. I told him I would work for $5per hour. He told me he could hire an illegal for $20 a day. There are dead beats no doubt. To make possibly $250 a day picking tomatoes I'm sure there are those who can do it. As stated they've been hiring them for the past forty years. There's a trick to every trade and I'm sure there's one for picking tomatoes. Nafta sent a lot of jobs to Mexico and a lot of illegals coming our way to work. And not just in the farms. Sure there working long hours making all they can. They have to they don't know when they'll get busted and shipped out.
    Last year I hired a company to clear cut 40 acres of my timber and reforest it with longleaf pines. When it came time to set out the pine seedlings, 2 huge vans drove in and parked near the lake. I soon saw their "trick to the trade." I saw 12 Mexicans come out of those vans and they looked like a bunch of rabbits running in every direction, each with a small spade in their hand and a belt similar to a tool belt on their sides filled with seedlings and a backpack filled with more on their backs. I made the comment to a guy who was working in the yard, "OMG, Billy! I am scr3wed. Look at those Mexicans running in every direction so disorganized it makes me sick. My trees will be a mixed up mess when they finish and to think I'm paying the company $250/acre to get this done.

After they left we walked down a road to the back of the property. Those trees were planted in rows, in perfect alignment either way I looked. I have no idea how it happened because no two of those men were working together or alongside each other and how the trees ended up in perfect rows is still a mystery to me. I lost about a dozen trees six months later because a helicopter pilot set his plane down on top of them and the wind and fuel fumes killed them.

Until about a year and a half ago, I lived near a 2,000 acre farm that was famous for its Grainger County tomatoes. Their labor force was exclusively Mexicans. The farms were laid out in 5-10 row sections, then a space was left open for the tractors & trailers to pass through. The tomatoes were picked and placed into large baskets and left sitting by the tractor row until lunch time and the tractors & trailers came by to pick them up and carry them to the barns to be sorted and prepared for market. I think the Mexicans laborers have their own labor group and contract with the farmer to manage sections of his tomato farms. Once they were accepted, they had to work hard or would lose their contract. It is extremely laborious, back breaking work that few Americans could handle. Their hands are working so fast they look like they're battery operated and they pick in clusters instead of one tomato at a time. My theory on their salary is that they are paid by the pound instead of by the hour. Once they bend over and start picking, it looks like they never straighten up until it's time to drive through the fields and unload the baskets. Most sit down in the fields to eat their lunch and have some water and rest for a few minutes. I believe the reason they are able to accomplish so much is because they grew up working the farms and their bodies are acclimated to it. It's amazing to see them harvesting watermelons and pumpkins because some of those things are very heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

We're mixing apples and oranges so to speak........I don't give a RIP about the sharecroppers, and tomato pickers......THAT is not the job that we're talking about.

It is not only tomato picking jobs that MEXICANS are doing illegally. There are a TON of factory jobs, and a TON of construction jobs that are lost to illegals. I know for a FACT that Mexican labor is hurting our home grown home builders. I know for a FACT that a bricklayer, or concrete man, or drywall man, or framer, or roofer cannot compete on price with a truckload of ILLEGALS that live together, eat together, work together, ride together, and SEND THEIR MONEY together back home.

THOSE are the ILLEGALS we need to worry about. I have a lot of friends in those industries that cannot compete, and it is a **** shame. KICK THEM ALL OUT.

Later,

Geo
    Likes Tom523 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Amen Geo!