Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Orlando Area Bass Guide Report (Long read)

My wife and I went on our honeymoon this week in the Tampa area. We both enjoy bass fishing and agreed to go to Orlando to hire a guide for lake toho.

We looked into the services of Steve Boyd. He agreed to take us out on Wed, Oct 19th. I had talked to him on the sunday before, he told me to call him after 6pm on the night before. We were on our honeymoon, and had dinner plans that evening so I didnt want to interrupt dinner to call nor possibly try and discuss trip details in an inebriated state after dinner drinks so I called him close to 5pm before we went out.

He seemed agitated by my call and said I needed to call him after 6 because he wants to get a better idea of the weather. He told me I needed to wait later than 6 to call him back and I asked him to give me a time and he said 7. So I called him at 6:57 and he said point blank "I am canceling our trip"...

I was in such a shock I didnt ask why I just asked if we would be getting our deposit back (which he did refund). On his page he makes a big deal about how paying the deposit is a commitment to both members to stay to the scheduled day, but he cancels and provides no reason. We were in the middle of our honeymoon trip, had our fishing licenses paid for ($40 dollars) and 75 dollar deposit invested into this guy. He just blew us off like it wasnt any big deal, no apologies.

The good news was we managed to find a guide in a pinch and went with AJ's Freelancer Guide Service. AJ got me a guide on the same day we had our original trip scheduled with boyd (this was with 10 hours notice at this point) He set me up with a very friendly gentleman named Bill Hoosier. Bill took us out and showed us a great time, put us on some nice bass. it was an unforgettable experience. I would highly recommend these guys(and Bill as a guide) they were phenomenal.

I know It may like I am bitter (it does still piss me off thinking about the situation) but reviews like this are the only way to communicate problems you may have and to help protect others from people like that. Had this been in spawn season we wouldve been completely without a guide. You have to hire people that you can depend on and I would not consider Steve Boyd one of those people.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Orlando Area Bass Guide Report (Long read)

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkIR View Post
    My wife and I went on our honeymoon this week in the Tampa area. We both enjoy bass fishing and agreed to go to Orlando to hire a guide for lake toho.

We looked into the services of Steve Boyd. He agreed to take us out on Wed, Oct 19th. I had talked to him on the sunday before, he told me to call him after 6pm on the night before. We were on our honeymoon, and had dinner plans that evening so I didnt want to interrupt dinner to call nor possibly try and discuss trip details in an inebriated state after dinner drinks so I called him close to 5pm before we went out.

He seemed agitated by my call and said I needed to call him after 6 because he wants to get a better idea of the weather. He told me I needed to wait later than 6 to call him back and I asked him to give me a time and he said 7. So I called him at 6:57 and he said point blank "I am canceling our trip"...

I was in such a shock I didnt ask why I just asked if we would be getting our deposit back (which he did refund). On his page he makes a big deal about how paying the deposit is a commitment to both members to stay to the scheduled day, but he cancels and provides no reason. We were in the middle of our honeymoon trip, had our fishing licenses paid for ($40 dollars) and 75 dollar deposit invested into this guy. He just blew us off like it wasnt any big deal, no apologies.

The good news was we managed to find a guide in a pinch and went with AJ's Freelancer Guide Service. AJ got me a guide on the same day we had our original trip scheduled with boyd (this was with 10 hours notice at this point) He set me up with a very friendly gentleman named Bill Hoosier. Bill took us out and showed us a great time, put us on some nice bass. it was an unforgettable experience. I would highly recommend these guys(and Bill as a guide) they were phenomenal.

I know It may like I am bitter (it does still piss me off thinking about the situation) but reviews like this are the only way to communicate problems you may have and to help protect others from people like that. Had this been in spawn season we wouldve been completely without a guide. You have to hire people that you can depend on and I would not consider Steve Boyd one of those people.

i agree, some people just dont care, Hopefully he will see this post and change the way he treats people