Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rod Advice

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Rod Advice

Hey guys need some advice. My rod and reel collection is kind of a hodge podge group that I have assembled over the last 10 years. I am now taking bass fishing more seriously and I have been enjoying fishing in tournaments the last couple of years. Now that I have a real job I am looking to basically start over on my rods and reels. I have been reading and talking to guys about the importance of having the same equipment on all of your bass rods (meaning same rod, same reel) so that there is no let off when you put one down and pick up another one.

So where I plan on starting is by upgrading my rods. I plan on starting with a 7', a 7 1/2' casting rods, and a 7' spinning rod. I was hoping to be in the 100-120 dollar range for each rod. What are your suggestions for that range? I have been looking at the Bass Pro Carbonlite rod and the Johny Morris carbon rod (I really don't see a difference between these two except for the name. Both are 85 million mod.) I have talked to some of the guys I fish with about Carrot Stix too and it seems like some love them and some aren't too enthused about them.

What rods would you suggest and why for bass fishing in that price range?

For reels I think I have decided on the Bass Pro extreme series. They seem to be decent at a good price 79 bucks each. But is there something else you would say is must to look at for a reel?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.
    Jake
    Last edited by BigBlueJake; 10-22-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rod Advice

I would go with the St. Croix Premier rods. They range from $100-$120 which is perfect for you. I have the 7ft medium action spinning rod which I love and I also have the 7ft medium heavy action crankbait rod which is perfect for me. If you are looking for split grip rods I would suggest the St Croix Mojos. If you wanna spend a little more in the $150 range I highly recommend the B&R Outlaw Rods. I have 3 of them and I wouldnt trade them for anything. They are made completely in the good ole USA.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a B.P. Carbonlite rod with a A.G. Revo reel on it. It's a great combo with a mid-level price.

Post Thanks / Like

big jake i hope you changed your mind and will be staying in the league next year. i have the carbon lite rods and like them a lot for what they cost. for reels i have the bps pro qualifier and they are great. usually when bass pro has their fishing sale every year they drop the price of these down from 100 to 80. if you can wait until them you can get some pretty good deals.

nate

Post Thanks / Like

Get a pro qualifier in spinning and casting, and pair with abu garcia veritas rods. Baitcaster is on sale for 80 last I saw, rods are $100

Post Thanks / Like

I've recently switched out all my old style Bionic Blades for Carbon Lites and been real happy with them. The power hump handle is a love it or hate it thing, now when I grab a rod that doesn't have a power hump it feels like the rod is gonna fly outa my hands when I cast, lol. All are paired with Curados.
    Last edited by Ruffneck; 10-22-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Give reel choice

Post Thanks / Like

Jake, I mainly use Shimano. All of my reels are Curado and I have one Core and one Chronarch. All of them are awesome. No problems whatsoever. I bought a Bass Pro Extreme reel last year for $130 and it wasn't very good at all. Noisy on casting and would not cast as far or as smooth as my Curado's. I think even the cheaper Shimano's are better then the Bass Pro reels.
    For rods---I also use Shimano's. I have all Crucial rods. I do have a couple of the Skeet Reese rods as I like his cranking rods. The Crucials are a bit too stiff.
    But, there are plenty of really good rods out there now.
    Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bplgocards View Post
    Get a pro qualifier in spinning and casting, and pair with abu garcia veritas rods. Baitcaster is on sale for 80 last I saw, rods are $100
    I agree with the veritas I have the 7 foot med. Action casting rod. Wich also can be used as a crankbait rod used like that yesterday for the first time and it loads up awesome with good give in the tip. And I also have the 6'9 med. Spinning reel and its awesome to. I have a couple pro qualifiers bait casters and they are nice.
    Last edited by smuckey41; 10-23-2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: miss spell

Post Thanks / Like

1: ALL tournaments should be on local lake time!2: We still are #1 for the year 3onnie-----nice name---how long did it take for you to come up with that one?
    4:All I ever hear about Carrot sticks is, they break. Donnie---tell us about that.
    5: Jake--I personally think Shimano,Quantum,Abu Garcia reels are the top 3 out on the market. In that order in my opionion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    1: ALL tournaments should be on local lake time!2: We still are #1 for the year 3onnie-----nice name---how long did it take for you to come up with that one?
    4:All I ever hear about Carrot sticks is, they break. Donnie---tell us about that.
    5: Jake--I personally think Shimano,Quantum,Abu Garcia reels are the top 3 out on the market. In that order in my opionion.
    Mark you know I got nothing but love for you. My screename was gonna be Superman, but the registry said that was your stage name. And I just broke that Carrotstik over my knee when that 7lber came unbuttoned.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm a falcon fan myself

Post Thanks / Like

Lews speed spool..... awesome reels ..... awesome price