Search Fishin.com

Thread: Rod Advice

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Rod Advice

Hey guys need some advice. My rod and reel collection is kind of a hodge podge group that I have assembled over the last 10 years. I am now taking bass fishing more seriously and I have been enjoying fishing in tournaments the last couple of years. Now that I have a real job I am looking to basically start over on my rods and reels. I have been reading and talking to guys about the importance of having the same equipment on all of your bass rods (meaning same rod, same reel) so that there is no let off when you put one down and pick up another one.

So where I plan on starting is by upgrading my rods. I plan on starting with a 7', a 7 1/2' casting rods, and a 7' spinning rod. I was hoping to be in the 100-120 dollar range for each rod. What are your suggestions for that range? I have been looking at the Bass Pro Carbonlite rod and the Johny Morris carbon rod (I really don't see a difference between these two except for the name. Both are 85 million mod.) I have talked to some of the guys I fish with about Carrot Stix too and it seems like some love them and some aren't too enthused about them.

What rods would you suggest and why for bass fishing in that price range?

For reels I think I have decided on the Bass Pro extreme series. They seem to be decent at a good price 79 bucks each. But is there something else you would say is must to look at for a reel?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.
    Jake
    Last edited by BigBlueJake; 10-22-2011 at 10:05 AM.