Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Boat Maintenance for Winter Fishing

This year is my first winter owning a boat. I still want to fish this winter to work on my techniques but I know I must winterize my boat to make sure it does not get damaged. I do not have a garage in any form at my house, not even a car port. I do have a good cover on the boat. What is the best way for me to protect my boat from having freezing problems but still having it where I can fish. I do not have the extra money to store the boat in an inside rental building either. I appreciate any help. I will forgo my fishing from a boat, if necessary, as I can always fish from the bank as I've done for years but I really want to work on my techniques. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat Maintenance for Winter Fishing

Ive kept several outdoors over the yearsboat and motor having different reqiuirements.
    Covering with a cover is good however after so many hard rains snows and freezing will draw the tarp down and hold ice,placing a pole from seat to seat or even a complete pvc frame inserted into seat pole holes will help keep it taught,make sure livewells dont have water in them as welll,if possible trickle charge the bateries.
    Marine stable in the gas ,to keep it from turning,fogging if left unrun for quite a time.
    A second tarp above the first and not on the boat from any object to another to help keep some rain snow off is even more help,keep plug out and if water or ice does get in get it out asap.
    Sure some more tips will come in,it depends somewhat upon where one lives,that was good for ohio,or even tn,here in tn I can run mine a few times a winter so dont fog.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, change your lower unit lube and limit the amount of wind to that area. Water mixed in the lower unit can cause it to expand and crack the unit.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll want to keep your big motor trimmed down ... as straight up/down as possible ... so water won't collect in the prop unit.
    Keep your trailor tires off the grass & on concrete or wood planks ... to keep them from getting frozen into mud ruts.
    Keep your batteries fully charged, if left in boat ... or store them in house & recharge after every use, & at least once a month during months not in use.
    Marine Stabil is good for keeping your gas usable, if not run for several weeks at a time.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of boat/motor do you have? Outboard, store with the trim always in the utmost down position to allow for and snow and rain to not freeze in your hub. Plan to move your boat once a month to not wear a flat spot in your tires. The best way I've found to not let it wear down and freeze up over winter storage is to not store it. USE IT. Winter has some of the best fishing and prettiest scenery around. Prep with good winter warm gear and you just have regular maintenance to think about. There are many a threads on here every year about winter boat conditioning. Search for it and arm yourself with knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with most every thing that was said. I second making the PVC poles to put under the tarp Slip one in the front seat hole and one in the back and then across to one another kind of like a tent. The more angle you can get the less snow you will have.
    Also like Pappy said get you a couple of 2X12s and park it on them. Don't let them set in the wet grass or gravel.
    One thing that was not said. If you can get to it pull the water hose off the back of the water pressure gauge after each use. If there is water in the gauge and it freezes it will tear it up. Just don't forget to put it back on next time out lol... Your feet will get wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpm537 View Post
    This year is my first winter owning a boat. I still want to fish this winter to work on my techniques but I know I must winterize my boat to make sure it does not get damaged. I do not have a garage in any form at my house, not even a car port. I do have a good cover on the boat. What is the best way for me to protect my boat from having freezing problems but still having it where I can fish. I do not have the extra money to store the boat in an inside rental building either. I appreciate any help. I will forgo my fishing from a boat, if necessary, as I can always fish from the bank as I've done for years but I really want to work on my techniques. Thanks again!
    I think if you plan on using the boat a few times during the winter....say 1-2 times a month you will be JUST fine with simply making sure you store the boat with the motor trimmed down. Also, maybe some fuel stabilizer. The stabilizer is only to keep the water that might be in the fuel from freezing.

My boat has never been winterized. Of course, it is also stored in an unheated garage. I should also say that it gets REGULARLY used in November, December and January. February is an off month for me, and is usually when I do any repair work and trailer work. Drain my gear lube and change, etc, etc.

THE BEST thing for your boat is to USE IT.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

December is still a good fishing month. Nice days happen in January.Use it, you nwont need to do anything special, except maybe grease your trailer bunkers, tp prevent the boat from freezing to the trrailer. Happened to me, but letting it sit at the deserted ramp to thaw out was no problem.