Search Fishin.com

Thread: Asian carp

Post Thanks / Like

Asian carp

I was going into Carmack bay on Lake Barkley this week with the water low I was at idle with the map out looking for the areas I wanted to fish and was watching the depth finder when a five pound carp hit me on the arm and chest then flopping on the floor with slime and blood every where. That was a surprise to say the least my first thought was what the heck hit me.
    This is not going to be good for the lakes for tubing, skiing or fishing. Has anyone else had these fish in the boat or been hit with one.

I also caught my first striper on Kentucky Lake this trip. I guess I have had two new experiences this trip one good and one bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Asian carp

seen a whole bay full of them last time down

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing new.

Saw my first one 3 or 4 years ago on KY Lake in Smith Bay. It was during one of the good grass years - was fishing a frog, and I guess startled it, it leaped all the way across the back of the boat.

2 years ago in Fords Bay, I had one nearly knock me down while I was setting out decoys in the dark. Scared the crap out of me! Sounded like a lab retriever dove in the water right beside me!

Last year, on Thanksgiving Day, I saw several small ones jumping while on my way to the duck blind in Jake Fork Bay on Barkley. The spotlight startled them I guess.

I have yet to see one on the main lake, so far just up in the bays is where I've seen them.

Post Thanks / Like

There out there for sure as I've not been to these lakes for a while. Just wonder how insurance is gonna cover a claim from being hit by a flying carp? really gotta hurt just think if you were cursing along at 40 to 50 mph and got smacked by that thing.

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy tail hooked one two weeks ago at KY Lake just south of 68/80 bridge in a bay. Didn't have any jump out of the water except for that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Have seen many on Barkley for the last several years. I havent had any in the boat yet but I figure it is only a matter of time. What scares me the most is all of my Gloomis rods lying on the deck. One of those ballistic critters could do a world of hurt on the rods.

As far as when they jump - I don't see them as being any issues running on plane or faster. They react to the motors vibration and most jump behind the boat even at idle speed. So even if you triggered one to jump running hard the timing would put them behind the boat.

One thing I have noticed with them is that they jump more for my pontoon boat than my bass boat. My theory is that with the pontoon being aluminum that the vibrations are more intense triggering them more. Or the pontoon is slower overall even when running hard so that may factor in as well.

In the late summer / early fall any time you are idling on flats on the big lakes you better be aware. I have encountered them most in 4 to 8 feet of water towards the backs of the bays...

kc

Post Thanks / Like

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/t...6-20-10002.jpg

Clover Creek on the Ohio June 2010

Post Thanks / Like

I had them hitting the bow in my v hull at 30 miles mph about ten years ago on the Illinois river. When they hit, the shape of the bow would send them careening head over heels into the air. They would land back where the wake was breaking about where a water skier would be. It was pretty funny actually. Reminded me of punting a football. These fish were small 18-22 inches or so. We'd hear em hit then look back and watch em land.