Thread: alabama rig?

Post Thanks / Like

alabama rig?

anyone know how to make their own rig?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: alabama rig?

Quote Originally Posted by Castin_A_Jig View Post
    anyone know how to make their own rig?

I will be trying the A-rigs I made tomorrow. If things work out and the rig seems to be decent, I will post my "recipe" or PM you, whichever you prefer. I won't let my own results with the rig be the determing factor on whether or not I respond...lol. I'm going to a tough little lake in central Ky. with wind to 30 mph in the forecast.(but dang I really hope to catch a few on my rig)

Post Thanks / Like

Have you heard that saying about inquiring minds? I would like to know how to make one also. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Well the rigs worked well, looked great and I can't wait to make some more. No fish were caught on the rig but the wind was absolutely howling. I thought my idea how how to make the rig might be exclusive to me but I found this video yesterday after posting my initial comment and rather than posting instructions, I'll just copy the link to the video. I mean after all- this guy has a video- I don't. haha They really are not hard to make. Early in the hype stage, I thought about making a few and putting them on the Community Tacklebox or on Craigslist or Ebay- but didn't....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngf0kCszgis

Post Thanks / Like

If you are fortunate enough to catch multiple fish and the wires bend, do you just try to straighten them out somewhat and continue fishing? That is the only solution I can see. Any other thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

THAT was quick........the video is gone.

Post Thanks / Like

We caught some pretty nice fish on them at KY Lake including a 12-15lb hybrid and some rather large drum and the wires never bent...Granted we never had a double, but I would have thought that if they were going to bend much, that big hybrid would have done it...The key seems to be to use a wire that is flexible enough to bend into position with your hands yet strong enough not to bend when a fish grabs ahold of it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    THAT was quick........the video is gone.
    dont worry. i saw it. i wasnt impressed. there are much better ways if i really wanted to get into it.

Post Thanks / Like

There are definitely better ways to make a better looking product but my only thought was functional first- go for pretty later on. The items needed are
    1/16" and 3/32" inch ferrules
    -flag markers(like used to i.e. mark a gas line or property markings and yes, remove the flags)
    -1/4 oz bullet or egg sinkers
    -snap swivels or cross/inter locks
    -swivels
    -swaging tool to crimp the ferrules(or I guess a hammer might work,lol)
    -needlenose or round nose pliers
    -1/8" drill bit
    The needed items can be purchased at any big name box hardware store and the everyday low price place....er, um....

1. drill a larger hole in a sinker

2. make a loop in a wire with the pliers, slide a swivel up the wire, then slide the wire back down thru the hole in the sinker until the tag end sticks out the bottom of the sinker

3. slide a 3/32" ferrule up the wire to the bottom of the sinker and insert the tag and 4 other wires(from the flags) into the ferrule, then crimp it with the swaging tool

4. you will now have- from top to bottom of the rig- a swivel attached to the main wire, the bullet or egg weight, a ferrule with 5 wires crimped inside it

5. the only thing that remains to be done is to slide the 1/16" ferrule onto each wire, loop the wire, put a snap or inter/cross lock swivel on the end of each wire, slide the ferrule back down the wire with the swivel in each loop and crimp the ferrules.

6. attach jig heads to the snap/cross/interlock swivels along with swim baits, grubs or whatever you want to try

7. It worked better for me using relatively light jig heads(1/16- 1/8 oz) for easier casting

After you get the first loop above the sinker made, it will become obvious what it takes to put the rig together. I don't have the equipment needed for making a good looking head but I did use paint markers to doll it up a little. It isn't beautiful but it is very functional and I am convinced it will work well. As I mentioned in my follow up post, it looked really good. Hope I didn't get too wordy but the video was stripped, as you folks noticed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spinnerbaitguy View Post
    There are definitely better ways to make a better looking product but my only thought was functional first- go for pretty later on. The items needed are
    1/16" and 3/32" inch ferrules
    -flag markers(like used to i.e. mark a gas line or property markings and yes, remove the flags)
    -1/4 oz bullet or egg sinkers
    -snap swivels or cross/inter locks
    -swivels
    -swaging tool to crimp the ferrules(or I guess a hammer might work,lol)
    -needlenose or round nose pliers
    -1/8" drill bit
    The needed items can be purchased at any big name box hardware store and the everyday low price place....er, um....

1. drill a larger hole in a sinker

2. make a loop in a wire with the pliers, slide a swivel up the wire, then slide the wire back down thru the hole in the sinker until the tag end sticks out the bottom of the sinker

3. slide a 3/32" ferrule up the wire to the bottom of the sinker and insert the tag and 4 other wires(from the flags) into the ferrule, then crimp it with the swaging tool

4. you will now have- from top to bottom of the rig- a swivel attached to the main wire, the bullet or egg weight, a ferrule with 5 wires crimped inside it

5. the only thing that remains to be done is to slide the 1/16" ferrule onto each wire, loop the wire, put a snap or inter/cross lock swivel on the end of each wire, slide the ferrule back down the wire with the swivel in each loop and crimp the ferrules.

6. attach jig heads to the snap/cross/interlock swivels along with swim baits, grubs or whatever you want to try

7. It worked better for me using relatively light jig heads(1/16- 1/8 oz) for easier casting

After you get the first loop above the sinker made, it will become obvious what it takes to put the rig together. I don't have the equipment needed for making a good looking head but I did use paint markers to doll it up a little. It isn't beautiful but it is very functional and I am convinced it will work well. As I mentioned in my follow up post, it looked really good. Hope I didn't get too wordy but the video was stripped, as you folks noticed.
    it would work like that ok