Search Fishin.com

Thread: Cedar Creek?

Post Thanks / Like

Cedar Creek?

I hope to hit CC this week. I have only fished it once way back when it first opened. If I remember right, the state tried to kill the shad in the lake years ago but they didn't get them all. Do you think shad is the primary forage now? Is it threadfin that is in it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cedar Creek?

Yes ... the KDFWR tried to remove ALL fish species from the watershed that makes up Cedar Creek Lake. Rumors were flying when Shad were discovered to be in the lake. Some thought they were placed there by well intentioned, but totally misguided anglers. Some thought that local farmers did not want (or give permission?) the KDFWR to use Rotenone in the creeks that their livestock had access to. Some thought that the eradication efforts just simply failed.
    Being as there are many species of Sunfish, that were not stocked, such as Green Sunfish ... IMHO the "simply failed" scenario seems the most likely.
    The Shad species that's present is the Gizzard Shad ... far as I know.

The species population was supposed to be LM Bass, Black Crappie, Bluegill, Shellcracker, and Channel Catfish only ... and they were supposed to control their own numbers, by predation upon one another ... leading to trophy size fish. With the addition of Shad into the mix, the predation factor was taken off the Crappie & Bluegill ... and focused on the Shad, leaving the Bluegill & Crappie to overpopulate and not reach trophy potential. This is why the KDFWR removed the size limit on Crappie, & raised the creel to state regs ... even though it was widely known that bucketsfull of undersized Crappie were being taken from the lake, almost since the first stocking. Bass (& probably Shellcracker & Channel Cats) were treated much the same, as far as undersized fish being harvested, though probably not in the same numbers.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cedar Creek?

Thanks for the info Pappy.