Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Chargers and batteries

I really need some expert advice on purchasing a charger and batteries.

I'm looking at a ProMariner charger. Is this a good buy for the money? In addition, what are the best batteries to use in a boat. Normally, I go to Wal-Mart and get their top of the line, but is that a good investment?

Really appreciate some feedback. Want to be sure I'm getting quality products.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chargers and batteries

I would go to Bass Pro for the battery charger, I don't know which brands are better but the guys at the depthfinder station are usually really helpful. As far a batteries go I absolutely without a doubt go with Superlex 31D's. Give Ky Battery Outlet a call and he will beat anyone elses prices and usually get 4 to 5 years out of a set of deep cycles, and I fish a lot. If you charge these batteries after each use they will be the best batteries you'll find. Also these batteries are manufactured around Columbia, Ky, maybe Russell Springs, but they are manuifactured in KY and I usually try to support "local" business. Well, good fishin to ya and I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

ProMariner is definitely one of the better names. As far as batteries, I believe taking proper care of them is more important than whose name is on it. I've owned boats since 1984 and have never had batteries that I was really displeased with. Take care of them and they'll take care of you.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Superlex marine batteries for several years. I go to thier outlet store located at the factory. When buying direct from the company you can save a few $ The name of the company that makes Superlex batteries is Superior Battery and they are located in Russell Springs,KY. In spring of 2012 I plan on replacing my 5 year old cranking battery and my 4 year old trolling motor batteries. There is currently nothing wrong with them but I do not like the idea of running a cranking battery more than 5 years. Plus 4 years is near the end of the life cycle of trolling motor batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post
    I have been using Superlex marine batteries for several years. I go to thier outlet store located at the factory. When buying direct from the company you can save a few $ The name of the company that makes Superlex batteries is Superior Battery and they are located in Russell Springs,KY. In spring of 2012 I plan on replacing my 5 year old cranking battery and my 4 year old trolling motor batteries. There is currently nothing wrong with them but I do not like the idea of running a cranking battery more than 5 years. Plus 4 years is near the end of the life cycle of trolling motor batteries.
    I also have to replace my trolling motor batteries...I got 6 full years outta my Delco's.

But I have a question, do they install the batteries if I take my boat up to their place of biz. ? With my bad back, I cannot even think of doing this job on my own.

Post Thanks / Like

Optima blue top, they are more expensive but have much more run time when using with trolling motor. You get more power and more run time. I have 2 of them for cranking batteries as well, (one for back up) but you could get away with a cheaper battery for cranking if you wanted to. For trolling motor they go and go and go compared to normal batteries. I have a friend with Delco I think brand new his boat is 3 ft shorter and 10LB less thrust at end of day he is almost completely out of power, if I push my indicator it shows 3 out of 4 lights left. I can easily do 2 days on them using it all day. We striper fish which means its 100% on all day, a lot more than bass boats plus heavier boats. More expensive no doubt but worth it in my opinion, with any gel battery though you have to keep them charged.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, he will instal them for you if you have the boat on site. the owner is Harry Staples and not only an avid fisherman but just an all around good guy.

Post Thanks / Like

the good thing about wallyworld is that there is one every other block and they have an 18 month free replacement as for the charger well ..........id check in to a stayncharge hit me up is ya want to save a little $$$$$4

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 3 bank 10-10-10 Duel Pro charger on my used boat when I got it and it lasted me for 2 years before I ended up losing one of the banks and an additional year running just 2 of the banks. The boat was used and the charger was not new when I got it so I would guess it lasted close to 5 years.

When I replaced the Duel Pro this spring I went with a Bass Pro XPS 3 bank 5-5-5. I was worried about the power and the price but it has turned out really well for me. The XPS is made by Promariner (I have been told but can't swear to it) and it has a feature that allows the banks to work as a group. That means I have 15 amps total to spread between 3 batteries and the juice goes to the batteries that need it. I was skeptical about it but for the price I decided to give it a try, I have not been disappointed. I fish tournaments and have no problems getting a full charge over a 6-8 charge time.

As far as batteries I haven't had to replace mine yet (going on 4 years that I have had the boat) but I am a big believer in pulling the batteries out of the boat in the winter and taking them inside. I usually check water levels twice a year and trickle charge them a couple of times over the winter while they are in the basement. I know this isn't for everybody but in my experience it has helped me to make batteries last longer and they **** sure aren't cheap to replace.

Of course this is just my experience and there are lots of guys out there who know way more than me when it comes to boating so take it for what its worth.

Post Thanks / Like

I put a new dual pro charger on in 04 d/t a recall on the old one. It was not a dual pro but they had bought them out. I think they were around 300 and something new 3 channel 10 amps per channel and it has never failed. I would buy one if it went out.

My question is do you guys leave your charger plugged in all the time. never have before, I would plug up and check about once a month. I'm thinking about leaving it plugged up all the time. how much would that be on the electric bill vs replacing batteries more often

Post Thanks / Like

I leave my chargers plugged in all the time. As a battery sits it will lose charge so that is why I do this. Some may disagree but in my opinion that is best, battery stays topped off at all times. Like I said in previous post, I get at least 4 yrs out of a set of batteries and then I get new ones regardless. That way I stay confidant that I wont be on the lake with sudden failure of batteries and have to pay two prices at the local bait shop. My charger is 4 yrs old and still going, don't know what brand it is because it came with the boat and I never paid any attention to name brand, just the red light and green light. I don't notice much difference in my electric bill either. Good fishin to all
    Last edited by bankbuster; 11-10-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: forgot to finish his question

Post Thanks / Like

I'ved had several different on board chargers. I've had two dual pro chargers. One of them came in my current boat and lasted about 6 years. One bank went out and had to replace it. I bought the Bass Pro and one bank went out in it in less then one year. Heard they had alot of problems out of them. Took it back to Bass Pro and they gave me credit on it to buy my current MinnKota charger. 3 bank 15 amp. The guy didn't even inspect my Bass Pro Charger. As soon as he saw what it was, he told me to go pick out what one I wanted. He basically told me to stay away from the Bass Pro brand. I believe it's the cheaper version Pro Mariner. Hopefully they have gotten better. So far they have been good.
    As far as batteries, I have used Wally World batteries for a very long time. My cranking battery went bad this year after about 4 years---part of it was my fault. I had left a power switch on early in the season and charger was not plugged in and it sat dead for about a month. After I finally got it to accept charge, it lasted about two months and it went bad. Replaced it with another Everstart Maxx.
    My trolling motor batteries are on their 4th season and I think I will replace them for the next season. They don't seem to last the whole day like they used too.
    I might make a change in trolling motor batteries. I would really like to try the Optima's but $400 for two batteries seems a bit much and I have been hearing that the newer Optima's haven't been as good as the older ones??? I don't know? I'll do some more research this winter.