Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question The Cumberland River!!

Anyone been fishing the CR, I fish it hard in the summer time for Walleye and Stripers. Dont do great but not bad. I hear in the early winter the tailwaters are always a good place to fish if they are letting water out of the dam. Is this true? Any info would be great thanks guys!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Cumberland River!!

fished it last night for crappie and walleye. caught 3 walleye from the bank. threw a curl tail jig and a black and chrome stick bait. caught most before dark. there was 1 boat out there in the slack side fishing but i couldn't tell what he was fishing for or how he was doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished it last weekend and had 2 days of great fishing, caught a lot of good Striper and several Walleye, went back this Friday and could not keep a fish on for some reason. I did catch a few Striper, but nothing over 20 inchs. I caught 2 good Browns that spit up shad when I got them in the boat. All fish caught on a Fluke riged on a jig head with a split shot above the jig head. They are running all 6 gen now. I seen a few people fishing for Crappie in the slack water The best thing is I dont guess you have to pay to launch your boat now.

Hope this helps
    Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Going to try and get a plan together for this weekend!!! If we go I will give a report when we get back. How fast was the water?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "The Man" View Post
    Thanks guys. Going to try and get a plan together for this weekend!!! If we go I will give a report when we get back. How fast was the water?
    Waters up around 20' and running 22,000 cfs. with the forecast for more rain will probably increase. It's moving swiftly. If your going in a boat make sure you don't fall out. River will spit you out yet it may take you a mile or so to get to the bank.

Post Thanks / Like

Once again thanks for all the help!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: The Cumberland River!!

Ok TVA says the discharge is at 15,020cfs. Thats fast but not too fast. Does anyone know how many generators that is? Im guessing 4 but not 100% sure!!

Post Thanks / Like

Caught many a big trout at 15,000 cfs. don't get your arm broke down there.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting ready to make the long drive from Louisville down to Wolf Creek Dam. Looks like the rain is going to hold off until after sunset. They also have the flow cut down!! Looks like it's going to be a good day! Will give a full report tonight

Post Thanks / Like

Im going to start off by saying it was a super long day!!!! Left Louisville about 4:50am. Got down to Wolf Creek dam about 8am. Put the boat in and ran up to the Wing dam. The flow was great, The smaller striper bite was on that and the brown trout. Then about 10am or so they turned the dam off! yes off and the river droped a good 8 or 9ft. We fished for a little bit longer next to the dam with no luck. So we ended up going to the lake side. BUT had the hardest time getting the boat from the dam to the ramp. We had like maybe 1.5ft of water. Man O man was that fun. Then the boat ramp was out of water. Long story short if they shut down the dam. You need to get the boat out of water as soon as you can!!!!! But we ended up putting in at the State park. The lake had great color but the water was up in the trees. Ended up in the lake with a striper on and a few bass in the boat. All and all a great day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "The Man" View Post
    Im going to start off by saying it was a super long day!!!! Left Louisville about 4:50am. Got down to Wolf Creek dam about 8am. Put the boat in and ran up to the Wing dam. The flow was great, The smaller striper bite was on that and the brown trout. Then about 10am or so they turned the dam off! yes off and the river droped a good 8 or 9ft. We fished for a little bit longer next to the dam with no luck. So we ended up going to the lake side. BUT had the hardest time getting the boat from the dam to the ramp. We had like maybe 1.5ft of water. Man O man was that fun. Then the boat ramp was out of water. Long story short if they shut down the dam. You need to get the boat out of water as soon as you can!!!!! But we ended up putting in at the State park. The lake had great color but the water was up in the trees. Ended up in the lake with a striper on and a few bass in the boat. All and all a great day.
    I was wondering about you when I saw they shut it down. You just be thankful you weren't down river.
    Last edited by coombro; 12-06-2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling error