Search Fishin.com

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: # 1 UNC goes down

Quote Originally Posted by MsgMills View Post
    Nope got no problems with the rest of the State of Ky., it's just Louisville..

Two big difference's between being able to go to war at 17 and able to drink at 18 or whatever age.

You become a man/woman when you complete Military training..Your still a kid until your 21 in my eyes if you are still in School, college, Vo. Tech or whatever....While kids are in college they think they can run home to mommy and daddy and have them help them out of tough jams....

Military members learn how to become a adult and take care of their own problems....
    I know this comes as no surprise, but I don't agree with what you wrote Mills. Military members, college kids, every one else...some are adults before their time, while others no matter what their age never grow up regardless of how much school, training or discipline they recieve. I still say, old enough to join the military and vote, old enough to drink...AND...old enough to pay the consequences should anything happen. Raise the voting age limit? Raise the age of joining the military, lower the drinking age limit or meet somewhere in the middle?

Something Tipton wrote about genetics...I was born with a genetic of allowing me to NOT become addicted to anything...I've drank like a fish in years past, bet plenty of horse races at the track, etc...never felt a need to quit, never had a "problem" with anything...and still don't today. For me it has always about having fun. As a matter of fact my trips to the lake are getting less expensive as time goes on because these days I hardly drink at all it seems, but I'm having just as much fun now at the lake as I ever did, it's just different.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope got no problems with the rest of the State of Ky., it's just Louisville..

Two big difference's between being able to go to war at 17 and able to drink at 18 or whatever age.

You become a man/woman when you complete Military training..Your still a kid until your 21 in my eyes if you are still in School, college, Vo. Tech or whatever....While kids are in college they think they can run home to mommy and daddy and have them help them out of tough jams....

Military members learn how to become a adult and take care of their own problems....
    That is a ridiculous assumption, 18 is 18. I went to high school with several guys that joined the military. When they came back home, some were mature and some weren't. I would lay any amount of money that I was just as mature as most at 18 and I didn't actually serve. By the time I was 18 I had been in 20 states without my parents and had visited two foreign countries. You act like suddenly because you are in the military that you are suddenly able to function as some independent person, when if fact, the military is taking care of you, much like your parents did. Sorry Clyde, but I ain't buying it because I have seen just as much evidence to the contrary!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    That is a ridiculous assumption, 18 is 18. I went to high school with several guys that joined the military. When they came back home, some were mature and some weren't. I would lay any amount of money that I was just as mature as most at 18 and I didn't actually serve. By the time I was 18 I had been in 20 states without my parents and had visited two foreign countries. You act like suddenly because you are in the military that you are suddenly able to function as some independent person, when if fact, the military is taking care of you, much like your parents did. Sorry Clyde, but I ain't buying it because I have seen just as much evidence to the contrary!
    OMG, I've heard it all now...Tim you don't have a clue about how the Military operates, so don't even try to add your two cents about it. I will admit that some it don't change at all and they don't make it in the military at all. They can't except the fact that their on their own now and have to make life altering changes without mommy and daddy being there holding their hands.....

Glad you were in 20 States and two foreign countries by the time you were 18. Yes I'd say you were more mature for your age.

But as most who have gone to college have stated on here...You went to College to party and work on getting an education....Not to grow up and become an adult and get an education.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally different Tim from when we were 18....We didn't have all these computers and Xbox's to lay in front of like most do now. Back then we were brought up our parents were still alowed to plant a foot in our butt when we needed it and not much was said about it. As has the military,,,It has modernized as well. My DI's were tough and believe me...DID NOT ACT LIKE MY MOMMY AND DADDY>....I also agree....vote, serve, drive, get served....
    25 yrs is a long time to assume things are the same on either account. Most kids nowadays are just plain lazy. And I said most....Once the tit runs dry and the trust funds get cut off ....well a buddy of mine said it well...

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional".

I honestly would like EVERYONE to go through a boot camp once in their, just to see how tough they are mind and body...not how tough they think they are...

Post Thanks / Like

OMG, I've heard it all now...Tim you don't have a clue about how the Military operates, so don't even try to add your two cents about it. I will admit that some it don't change at all and they don't make it in the military at all. They can't except the fact that their on their own now and have to make life altering changes without mommy and daddy being there holding their hands.....

Glad you were in 20 States and two foreign countries by the time you were 18. Yes I'd say you were more mature for your age.

But as most who have gone to college have stated on here...You went to College to party and work on getting an education....Not to grow up and become an adult and get an education.
    I think working and going to school would make someone grow up quick. Why do you seem jealous of college students? Is it because you weent happy with your experience or that you didn't have an experience? Serious question.. you could always go back. College isn't all fun and games, but its not about studying 24/7 and never having a good time either. It's really just plain wrong if you think otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redneckshadrap View Post
    Totally different Tim from when we were 18....We didn't have all these computers and Xbox's to lay in front of like most do now. Back then we were brought up our parents were still alowed to plant a foot in our butt when we needed it and not much was said about it. As has the military,,,It has modernized as well. My DI's were tough and believe me...DID NOT ACT LIKE MY MOMMY AND DADDY>....I also agree....vote, serve, drive, get served....
    25 yrs is a long time to assume things are the same on either account. Most kids nowadays are just plain lazy. And I said most....Once the tit runs dry and the trust funds get cut off ....well a buddy of mine said it well...

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional".

I honestly would like EVERYONE to go through a boot camp once in their, just to see how tough they are mind and body...not how tough they think they are...
    Oh I agree this ain't 25 years ago Billy, but I still believe each individual is different. In some the Military breeds responsibility, but I have seen others that it really didn't help. I have seen guys who once they got out of the military couldn't ever hold a steady job, they would bounce around from one to the next pretty aimlessly. I think these types didn't learn responsibility as much as they learned to do what they are told. Once the military structure was gone, they didn't really no what to do.

On a side note, since Mills brought it up, here is my military experience. I joined the Army when I was 18. Two weeks before I was supposed to leave for boot camp (I think at Ft. Sill, OK) I broke a bone in my right hand boxing. I ended up having surgery and have steel pin in it now. Because I was medically unable to attend basic, they gave me an honorable discharge! Technically I am a veteran according to the official document, depsite the fact that all I did was take the physical, sing the papers and swear in.

And before anybody ask, I don't know where my discharge papers are and I do not consider myself a veteran because I never actually served. On any paperwork I feel out if it ask if I am a veteran I always answer no!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I agree this ain't 25 years ago Billy, but I still believe each individual is different. In some the Military breeds responsibility, but I have seen others that it really didn't help. I have seen guys who once they got out of the military couldn't ever hold a steady job, they would bounce around from one to the next pretty aimlessly. I think these types didn't learn responsibility as much as they learned to do what they are told. Once the military structure was gone, they didn't really no what to do.

On a side note, since Mills brought it up, here is my military experience. I joined the Army when I was 18. Two weeks before I was supposed to leave for boot camp (I think at Ft. Sill, OK) I broke a bone in my right hand boxing. I ended up having surgery and have steel pin in it now. Because I was medically unable to attend basic, they gave me an honorable discharge! Technically I am a veteran according to the official document, depsite the fact that all I did was take the physical, sing the papers and swear in.

And before anybody ask, I don't know where my discharge papers are and I do not consider myself a veteran because I never actually served. On any paperwork I feel out if it ask if I am a veteran I always answer no!
    I do know a select few that turned out great....Good jobs ....family...ect.ect. But it seems those that grew up with money are the ones that ended up struggling the most with actual life itself...especially when mommy and daddy had, had enough...

Post Thanks / Like

I do know a select few that turned out great....Good jobs ....family...ect.ect. But it seems those that grew up with money are the ones that ended up struggling the most with actual life itself...especially when mommy and daddy had, had enough...
    You just described my 21-year-old nephew to a "T"

Post Thanks / Like

Totally different Tim from when we were 18....
    Man you ain't lyin'...back in the day when what mattered was the roar of your engine instead of the ring on a cell phone.