Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS units

Post Thanks / Like

GPS units

Could anyone give me any advice on the simplest GPS to use to mark spots on a lake, are they hard to learn how to use? appreciate any inf.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GPS units

Look for an iFinder Hunt by Lowrance on Craigslist (or eBay). None are "easy" to use if you haven't used them. Get the how-to dvd and then practice, practice and practice. If I can do it, ANYONE can.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite GPS units are Garmin. My advice is go to a store where they have them plugged in so you can see how they work. That might make it easier for you to determine which is best for you.

Post Thanks / Like

You wanting a hand held or a combo depth finder?

Post Thanks / Like

Coombro - Thanks for reply - on the GPS I was thinking of a Hand Held One Wild Duck

Post Thanks / Like

Garmin has some reasonable priced handheld gps units if you are not interested in using the lake map features from navionics they work great I hired a guide in Wis. his garmin did not have a map of the lake just waypoints
    that he had entered worked great I have two older lowrance ifinder handheld bought off ebay one with navionics chip one with out both work great

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wild duck View Post
    Coombro - Thanks for reply - on the GPS I was thinking of a Hand Held One Wild Duck
    I have a Garmin hand held legend. Used it on rivers for a while til I bought a hummingbird combo unit. Worked real well for me. Didn't have the water maps in it yet it was very resourceful for marking spots especially those under water prop dingers. They also have various mounting devices to hold the unit in place. Welcome to try my handheld Garmin if you'd like.

Post Thanks / Like

The simplest GPS handhelds to operate are Garmins. One I would recommend would be an ETrex 10, which runs $119.99. This is as basic as you can get while having waypoint and tracking features, but doesn't accept maps. If you want more info, shoot me a PM. I also work at Bass Pro in the Marine Dept., where we have many units on display--you can check them out and see what suits you best.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Addict 170 View Post
    The simplest GPS handhelds to operate are Garmins. One I would recommend would be an ETrex 10, which runs $119.99. This is as basic as you can get while having waypoint and tracking features, but doesn't accept maps. If you want more info, shoot me a PM. I also work at Bass Pro in the Marine Dept., where we have many units on display--you can check them out and see what suits you best.

-Matt
    You know that's what model I think I have? Don't know where I got legend at? Silly me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    You know that's what model I think I have? Don't know where I got legend at? Silly me.
    The Legend and Legend HCx are also units manufactured by Garmin, but are now discontinued. The original Legend is a black-and-white unit that once retailed around $100, while the HCx is color and expandable and goes for $249.99. If your lucky, you can find Legend HCx units on clearance.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Coombro - Which Bass Pro location you work at? If it is near by I may stop lookat the GPS Units Wild Duck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wild duck View Post
    Coombro - Which Bass Pro location you work at? If it is near by I may stop lookat the GPS Units Wild Duck
    Ooop's that's bass addict 170 works at the bass pro. I offered the garmin e-trex for you to take out and try on the water. Or whatever unit i have.