Search Fishin.com

Thread: New NBA Rules

Post Thanks / Like

New NBA Rules

So they say that all college basketball players must now stay 2 years before turning pro.....This will completely change the face of the college game just as making the kids come for a year did....Cal will now have 2 and dones instead of one and dones....Personally, I like the rule change....At 18 years old these are kids that are being given a LOT of money and being thrust out into the world....Make them stay in college a couple years and let them grow up some....Don't get me wrong, some of those guys will never grow up and some are prepared directly out of high school

The biggest upside of this is that we get to see Anthony Davis play 2 years in the big blue uniform

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New NBA Rules

I still don't understand why they don't go with the baseball model. It would improve the college game leaps and bounds and would help the NBA as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    I still don't understand why they don't go with the baseball model. It would improve the college game leaps and bounds and would help the NBA as well.
    Last report I heard was that they were looking at the baseball model. Test the NBA waters and if they don't get drafted they can still go to the NCAA just have to stay 3yrs. something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

The only problem with that baseball thing is that baseball has a minor league system that the younger guys go to to learn....the NBA guys that don't make it in the league usually wind up back on the streets...the NBDL isn't much of a minor league....It's pretty much designated for the guys that'll never make the league

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't heard about that. I just think it makes it easier on the college coaches to know who is going to be on the team from year to year, plus you wouldn't force a kid to go to school, where he doesn't want to be, if he is good enough to make it in the NBA.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah ,but if the kid isn't drafted he is still able to go to the NCAA yet he has to stay 3 yrs. Was topic of discussion I heard this afternoon. Only time will tell what they come up with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    The only problem with that baseball thing is that baseball has a minor league system that the younger guys go to to learn....the NBA guys that don't make it in the league usually wind up back on the streets...the NBDL isn't much of a minor league....It's pretty much designated for the guys that'll never make the league
    Then the NBA needs to make the D-league a viable option like minor league baseball. Instead of guys who are hoping for ten day contract here and there, send your prospects there until they are ready for the league.

Post Thanks / Like

That would create a market for smaller towns like the minors leagues do for baseball. They might play defense and the games would be more interesting the the NBA.

Post Thanks / Like

The rumor that there is no defense played in the NBA is patently false. Not sure where this started from, but there is zero truth to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    The rumor that there is no defense played in the NBA is patently false. Not sure where this started from, but there is zero truth to it.

SOME guys in the NBA play defense, with the key word being some...The NBA guys get the big contracts for being able to put the ball in the basket, so why waste their energy on D...However, if you look at the coaches that have been very successful, they're the guys that can get their team to play defense.....Phil Jackson hasn't done it as much in LA, but his Chicago teams guarded the ball...Popovich's teams have always played excellent D