Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Child labor laws

old newt said child labor laws in the usa are STUPID. old newt don't look like a CHINAMAN, but that sure sounds like something coming from china. does anyone know for sure, if NEWT was born in the USA.http://politicsreport.com/news/newt-...ild-labor-laws

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Child labor laws

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    old newt said child labor laws in the usa are STUPID. old newt don't look like a CHINAMAN, but that sure sounds like something coming from china. does anyone know for sure, if NEWT was born in the USA.http://politicsreport.com/news/newt-...ild-labor-laws
    haha I just had to laugh at this. no Newt doesnt look Chinese at allI would say he is more german than anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Well it's no surprise that I agree with him on some of this. The idea of doing things the way we have up until this point is crazy. Why not toss an idea out there? Heck would it hurt for some of these kids to learn something besides the gubment will take care of you?
    I started working at 15. Because I wanted a Motorcycle and I got it after working bagging groceries for a summer. What makes kids today better than me? Nothing!! My daughter has been helping out with cleaning houses and offices with my exwife for years and she just turned 15.
    Of course this will be turned into a bogus topic...conservatives against unions, rich against poor and at some point it will mean blacks against whites. Yes I know there are poor white kids and rich black kids but that doesn't matter. Al Sharpton and the other goons will be up in arms and the whole point of trying something different will be lost.
    I was thinking...so what is the answer? Keep tossing billions at schools that have become daycare associations. Anyone been around some of these new schools? They look like Malls and have family planning, police on site and security out the ying yang. Build more? My goodness they build or renovate 10 or more in central KY each year!! Can't imagine what they spend in LA, Chicago and New York?? Maybe there is a threat to unions who bilk billions out of the school systems?? So I do expect Unions to jump up and try to crush Newt.....He is attacking the gravy train of the Unions. Ol' Newt is in for a fight on this one.
    Last edited by DJD; 12-02-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It shouldn't be a surprise to anybody that the right wing sees this as a step in the right direction... Don't you think these laws were passed because of practices in the past, just think, some of the small business owners could cut their labor cost by paying 12 year olds half what they have to pay the Mexicans now to do the work they aren't willing to pay a man a fair wage to do... Yeah, the upper class needs this to rape the economy even more.

Post Thanks / Like

DJ are you nutz? I have an 18yr old grand daughter who works 8 hrs a week, and thats not that she dosn't want to work. there are very few jobs in her area for college students.My grand son a junior at purdue who is annhonor student works as a dish washer part time during the summer, not his choice, but its all thats available for a summer college student. He's a math major. I worked part time most of the way thru high school, but those jobs are gone,Retired people carring groceys, no gas jockeys anymore. what gnewt is proposing is a child WPA, who gains???N How many local grocery stores do you see in your travels? My son was a paper boy. ever see very many of those lately? Open your eyes, times have changed, or are you to busy to notice?

Post Thanks / Like

Hahahaha I agree times are changing but my point is I worked as a child/young adult and most of my friends did because we wanted motorcycles, cars, clothes or whatever.
    Newt isnt talking about a sweat shop like in China. We all know that he isn't talking about having 6 year olds mopping floors or taking out garbage for pizza hut either.
    From my understanding of his statements he is talking about these kids who have nothing to do but sit around. Could he be talking 14 year olds? I don't know but my guess is he is talking about that age group. Is he talking 10-20 hours a week? Maybe? I think one positive thing he is saying is that kids who have nothing productive to do but wait around for the next opportunity to do something stupid can be around someone who works and can be mentored(sp?)
    Would it be so bad to have some kids help after school to clean the gym? School yard? Heck man look at kids who play sports and see what extra stuff they do after school....like practice or community service or car washes or whatever. This isn't about taking little Johnny out to a school and dropping him and his buddies off for 5 hours a day and saying git r done. It's about trying to get kids in the mode of helping themselves and teaching them a different mentality.
    I'm betting there are already community centers that let kids help out with/without pay who may be 14 and old enough to legally work a few hours a week. I'm trying to see this as a positive approach to helping kids and families help themselves while others are saying nope never ever ever can it be considered because they way it works now is best. I call BS on the way it works now and I also call BS if anyone thinks (including newt) that a child labor force that puts in hours of an adult in what's in mind.
    Btw....in my area teenagers bag and take groceries out to the car if you need it. Seniors say welcome to walmart or let me check your receipt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post

So let's fire all the janitors who more than likley have a family to support and hire students to replace them!!!!!!! Brilliant

And what makes Newt think this would fill the kids with "pride" and they would actually do a good job? You think most kids working at fast food joints really care about the place?

Is it because it's their school and he has this school pride idea that he thinks will make them want to do a great job? Most parents I know can barley get their kids to clean their own room, car......

Post Thanks / Like

For cying out loud man, put the kids to work!!

My dad was in the printing business...he worked all kinds of hours, over time, swing shift, 16 hour days, 12 hour days, got laid off several times too it seems...even when he was working a steady 40 hours (4:00 pm till 12:00 pm) he would still hustle the odd jobs or handyman jobs on his own (painting, drywall, guttering and roofing). I remember in the summers probably from about the age of 12 or so, if he had a job on the side he always put me on it, I was packing shingles up the ladder, painting exteriors of houses, helped to hang drywall, helped tear out old plaster walls to allow for the installation of insulation and new drywall, etc...can't remember what I got paid, it wasn't steady everyday of every summer but I worked a lot compared to some of the other kids in the neighborhood. As I sit here and reflect back on this time frame I now remember a couple of my buddies asking me if my dad was hiring, lol...Can't remember what dad paid me, it wasn't a lot, but it gave me an opportunity to set goals for myself as far as money was concerned.

This topic also brings to something else to light...when I was in high school there was an abundance of trade schools or vocational schools, now days the majority of those old vocational buildings have been "renovated" and turned into classrooms for technology or healthcare and things like that. Back in my day you could partake in these vocational school programs in the 11th and 12th grade for half of your school day and learn a trade, auto body repair, mechanics, plumbing, HVAC, Radio and Television Repair, Drafting, Horticulture, Welding, etc. I took the drafting courses and I owe what I do today to that vocational school program...granted the old "HB Lead", mechanical pencils and electric erasures are long gone and have been replaced with AutoCAD, but the basics of what I do I obtained from my high school days, which is reading construction drawings, producing drawings for construction, etc.

The long and short of this child labor thing for me is I think there needs to be a lot more emphasis placed on teaching kids to actually work for a living and earn their way. I know times have changed, don't see many paper boys anymore, not very many grocery baggers, etc...but still...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chubminnow View Post
    For cying out loud man, put the kids to work!!

The long and short of this child labor thing for me is I think there needs to be a lot more emphasis placed on teaching kids to actually work for a living and earn their way. I know times have changed, don't see many paper boys anymore, not very many grocery baggers, etc...but still...

So you thinks it's a good idea to fire the school janitors/custodians who more than likley have a family to support and replace them with students?

I think everyone agrees that teaching kids the importance of work is a good idea but doing it at the expense of people trying to support families or themselves is a bad idea.

Post Thanks / Like

who pays these "learning kids", ? like i said juvenile WPA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pontooner View Post
    So you thinks it's a good idea to fire the school janitors/custodians who more than likley have a family to support and replace them with students?

I think everyone agrees that teaching kids the importance of work is a good idea but doing it at the expense of people trying to support families or themselves is a bad idea.
    Newt NEVER proposed that. You're reading so much into this.

Work ethic of those 12-20 yr olds ***** due to gameboys, TV, playstation, internet, etc, etc. GET those kids OUT of the house.......let them for 10 hrs a week doing odd jobs.

As many stated here, LOTS of us at that age had jobs. I delivered a daily paper starting at 12 years old or so, and had a 700 paper weekly route too. LOTS of hard work but I learned the value of a dollar.

Kids today have NO IDEA what it takes to earn a buck........

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Newt NEVER proposed that. You're reading so much into this.Geo

Newt - ""Most of these schools ought to get rid of the unionized janitors, have one master janitor and pay local students to take care of the school."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...n_1105288.html