Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading the Signs: Can Wildlife Predict Fishing Success?

On another thread coombro discusses his belief that seeing cattle all standing up is a traditional predictor of fishing success. I've heard that all my life, as well its corollary, that cows laying down mean a bad fishing day is ahead.

What has been your experience with this piece of folklore, or any other?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reading the Signs: Can Wildlife Predict Fishing Success?

My great grandma used to say if the cows were sitting down it was going to rain. (and its more than likely true) Maybe a change in weather has something to do with it. I will start paying more attention.

Post Thanks / Like

But what I've never understood is, I've also always heard (and it is my experience) that there is a good bite when a front is getting ready to pass through. This is the same time the cows are supposed to be sitting down...

HURRICANEBOB Guest

If I'm taking the wife and going to Cumberland, I pay attention to what the beavers are doing. If they are active, the wife will have good success at the dam.

Post Thanks / Like

I was always told to watch birds while fishing. From watching feeding birds to just seeing herons on the bank fishing. Baitfish are a food source for birds and bigger fish so it can't hurt to pay attention to that.
    While deer hunting I have been told to pay attention to what the cows are doing. If they are feeding it could be good..if they are chilling then get ready for a long day. I don't have enough experience around cows to know if that's true??

HURRICANEBOB Guest

I figured it out.....the cows sit down when ever they see a bass boat trailered by. They are paid by KDFWR and local business to send indicators of good fishing to boost the lake business economy. Or am I looking to deep into this?

Post Thanks / Like

I've always heard the cow thing, but it has extended to all wildlife....I've always heard that if the wildlife in general is up and active that the fishing will be good....Could this have more to do with barometric pressure than a front getting ready to come through?

Post Thanks / Like

I've always heard that women on a boat can bring bad luck. Maybe that's why I always outfish my husband, and I'd better not catch him paying attention to the beavers.

Post Thanks / Like

At Sweetwater. Another thing I always heard was that cows lying down means rain. And something I noticed from being observant is that before it snows they seem to group up.
    Squirrel nests high in the trees means a mild winter and low and tight in the trees means a colder winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    I've always heard the cow thing, but it has extended to all wildlife....I've always heard that if the wildlife in general is up and active that the fishing will be good....Could this have more to do with barometric pressure than a front getting ready to come through?
    Barometric pressure and current weather conditions play a huge role in wildlife. Moon phase also plays a big role. There are certian peak times of activity for the moon phase. I do however believe if things are suppose to be active according to the moon phase and the baramoter or weather is in a situation for things to be inactive that the boramoter and weather will cancel out any activity due to an active moon phase.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    I've always heard that women on a boat can bring bad luck. Maybe that's why I always outfish my husband, and I'd better not catch him paying attention to the beavers.
    Lol!!! I can't say anything more cause its a family site.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Lol!!! I can't say anything more cause its a family site.
    I probably went a bit far with that one. I'm was just trying to make people laugh.