Search Fishin.com

Thread: Metal Traction

Post Thanks / Like

Metal Traction

Ok, this might seem like a stupid question, but I've seen slip on metal studs/bars for waders to help with gripping slippery rocks and such. My question is has anyone tried the ones your suppose to slip over your normal shoes for walking on ice? I mean it's the same concept right?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Metal Traction

Quote Originally Posted by thehillbillyflyfisher View Post
    Ok, this might seem like a stupid question, but I've seen slip on metal studs/bars for waders to help with gripping slippery rocks and such. My question is has anyone tried the ones your suppose to slip over your normal shoes for walking on ice? I mean it's the same concept right?
    I have never heard of anyone trying that, so I can't comment...but I purchased the Orvis light felt/stud wading boots a couple years back, and love them! The combination of stud and felt grips the river bed amazingly well! No more winter river dunks for me! I highly recomend them!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thehillbillyflyfisher View Post
    Have fished Soho in TN in winter. This river is infected with didymo aka "rock snott", very slippery stuff. I woild not wade fish this river at any time without some sort of grip on the soles of the waders. Useing grips intended for slipping over boots works very well. I have a pair that was given me by a retired ice fisherman they are studded rubber soles that I slipped over felt waders. They ARE heavy and I had to go slow to prevent tripping but after getting used to them they helped get a really good purchase o n those rocks. I now have a pair of Orvis studded ecotrax that are somewhat less heavy but they are hard to breakin and stiff as boards. Use anything to prevent slips not only in-stream but also on the muddy banks and dry leaves on steep banks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grampsg View Post
    Have fished Soho in TN in winter. This river is infected with didymo aka "rock snott", very slippery stuff. I woild not wade fish this river at any time without some sort of grip on the soles of the waders. Useing grips intended for slipping over boots works very well. I have a pair that was given me by a retired ice fisherman they are studded rubber soles that I slipped over felt waders. They ARE heavy and I had to go slow to prevent tripping but after getting used to them they helped get a really good purchase o n those rocks. I now have a pair of Orvis studded ecotrax that are somewhat less heavy but they are hard to breakin and stiff as boards. Use anything to prevent slips not only in-stream but also on the muddy banks and dry leaves on steep banks!

I think I am going to spnd the money and get something similar. I really like the River Guard Navigator with the Eco Trax SOles. I have the same boot with the felt bottoms. I believe we are looking at the end of felt soled boots as more companies are going away from them and I believe they will eventually be outlawed.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I asked is because it seems their everywhere for xmas shoppers this year from Goody's to the dollar stores.
    As for felt never had a pair. I fish WAY TOO MUCH in the winter dealing with snow. And I use to read all the time in salmon boards not to get felt if it's snowing.

Post Thanks / Like

I just went to Lowes and bought 2 dozen 1/2" hex head screws and screwed them right into the felt of my boots. Just go all the way around the perimeter. They work great and I've never had one come out.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that's thinkin' with your head flyfish. I like it. A lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I bought the fancy $50 LaSportiva studs for my sandals but they don't work nearly as good as the hex heads. Not to mention you can get all the screws you need for $6.