Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Conditions of ?????

Been busy watching the conditions of my best fishing spots for years.The internet has really added too the ease of doing it.I'm not new too river fishing but i'm new too doing it in the winter.All the lakes in Ky are man made.AKA dam a river.So far the creek i fish has flooded 2 times & still runs clear.I've only caught 1 SM all month,floated 1 time.
    What kind of baits should i be trying on the creeks when its clear as the air & i'm half ways blind?(needs glasses)
    River Basser
    Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Conditions of ?????

small jigs in natural colors, shakey heads, basically anything that you can throw on light fluorocarbon line and agonizingly slow.

Just my $.02

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the Float and Fly on creeks in the winter and the smallmouth have eaten it up. I've tied it on after fishing other things with no luck and immediately gotten bites. You use the same jigs and bobber, but you can just tie it a couple of feet below the float instead of 10 feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Before it gets real real real cold, a suspending jerkbait like a Husky Jerk or Rogue. Natural colors and downsized for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this thought will help but fishing creeks that feed the main lakes in the winter if I run into the "gin clear" water that happens when it gets cold and no rain I have found you can forget catching fish. Usually that gin clear means really cold and I have not figured out how to catch fish in those conditions. Honestly I think it is more a matter of the fish aren't there (move out deeper). In a creek it is a little different ball game but there may be a parallel. You may aim at times when there is more color after a rain and your fishing may improve...
    kc