Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New in KY

Post Thanks / Like

Question New in KY

Hello everyone, I just moved here from NV about 2 months ago and wanted to know all your secret fishing holes!

No not really, only area I've been is Nolin around cub run. Just to visit some in laws no fishing.

Anyway how's bank fishing? I like large mouth or small, never caught crappie, but plenty of bluegill back in NV. What species of fish are most to least common around Nolin? Is there any water for striper fishing? I prefer artificial lures, but don't mind still/live fishing. Planning on getting a smaller bass tracker or something tin to drag me around but for now it's all bank.

I'm in E-town for now, any parks or city/town ponds for kids around this way? I have a 3 year old daughter who I just started (she caught her first catfish about a week ago in a friends pond and loved it) She has been asking everyday to go even in the rain, makes me so proud I want to cry.

Thanks and have a safe morning,
    Mr.Y

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: New in KY

Welcome to KY!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New in KY

Plenty of water to fish in Ky. The KY dept of F&W website has info on public lakes, regs, etc... I would pay them a visit at the following link:
    http://fw.ky.gov/navigationdual.aspx?cid=742
    My best resource for what's biting and where is right here on Fishin.com.
    You mentioned striper fishing, best bet is Lake Cumberland. LM, I like Barren or Nolin. Barren is also known for producing nice hybrids. I don't bank fish, so can't help with suggestions there.
    Welcome to KY and good fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Freeman Lake is about all there is right here in E-town. I've never fished it but I hear crappie and bass can be found.

Post Thanks / Like

Teach her early to wear her PFD/life jacket. Fishing is a great hobby, but like everything else can be dangerous. Enjoy your time with her because she will be an adult before you know it. I speak from experience on that with my two kids.

Olgrey

Technonorb Guest

Hey Spy
    Welcome to the area!
    Being from southern Indiana, I'm not familiar with the E-town area but if you can catch Kentucky lake in the spring when the Shellcrackers or Red Ear come in to spawn, you and your daughter will have a trip either of you will forget. you can catch them bank fishing and most resorts with marinas can help you with when they come in and where they come in which will be in the Mustard Grass. 1st week of May is a pretty good rule but it all depends on the water tempature. I'm sure this holds true for Barkley but I have always fished Ky. Lake. Bob at Hesters Resort in Benton Ky. for one will help you.

Thanks Tech

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome too Ky,i learned too fish from the bridges around Bowling Green this yr since i went green.I got a great kayak & caught some trophy small mouth in the creeks all summer.Still havn't caught a big muskie but know i will when i hit Barren river.Good luck
    River Basser
    Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Kentucky. Not that familiar with the ETown area. You will find a lot of places to fish here; but it will be best in a boat, kayak or canoe.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the nice welcome and info, went over to Nolin today and did some bank fishing with my daughter she had something but lost it about half way in. After that everything died down and we worked on her casting hookless for a while. Nice day outside and my girl had a blast. Cant wait for some big boy fishing so I can concentrate but getting called the best daddy ever is priceless and just makes fishing so much more.

OlGrey, she always has her LJ in a boat (won't let her on without it) but on bank I stick close to her. She learned to swim around two but I still won't chance it in any wild water. I have a very young half brother who fell in about 20 ft of water at a marina in NV he can't swim yet. My dad was close but told me he just looked away from him for seconds. My pop saved him but a couple more feet and a second or two longer and he would have been invisible underwater, scary stuff.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!
    Mr.Y

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, SPY. In Etown, you are very close to Fort Knox, where they have tons of fishing access from small ponds to larger lakes to rushing trout streams. Also, Otter Creek provides access to the same trout stream. Do a search for fishing access to Fort Knox, and you'll find info on the permit (free, I think) requirements. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

The permit to fish on-base is $10/year, or at least it was last time I had one, which was a while back, 2005 I think. Plus, you have to tell them exactly where you're going to be fishing, and when. If you want to go try a different lake, you need to go tell the guards at the gate. And your vehicle is going to be thoroughly searched entering the base, and possibly when leaving. Not a big deal, but it takes a few minutes. Personally, I don't think the fishing there is good enough to be worth the trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Otter Creek Park can be a lot of fun and kid friendly. If the fish aren't biting you can always throw rocks in the creek...my 4 year old daughter's favorite pasttime. There are some great hiking trails too.

The trout are easy to catch and plentiful around stocking times. Other times you'll catch bluegill (sunfish), smallmouth, drum, etc. The fishing is pretty good year round. Light tackle, a bobber, and some worms and you're good to go. I've had great luck with a bobber and Popeye/wax worm combo. Small Rapalas and spinners work well too. I was there yesterday (Dec. 30) and caught 4 rainbows on the fly rod.