Search Fishin.com

Thread: Need a fix

Post Thanks / Like

Need a fix

I'm on vacation this week between Christmas and New Year's. I need a fly fishing fix! With all the rain we're having it may be a bust but I'm thinking about Otter Creek. I have plenty of time so I'm not ruling out a trip to the CR or maybe Trammel (never fished it...) I live in Louisville.

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need a fix

Don't come to TN, it's just as bad here. I might go over to the steam plant to try for some skippies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pflyer View Post
    I'm on vacation this week between Christmas and New Year's. I need a fly fishing fix! With all the rain we're having it may be a bust but I'm thinking about Otter Creek. I have plenty of time so I'm not ruling out a trip to the CR or maybe Trammel (never fished it...) I live in Louisville.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
    Was thinking about Otter Creek too. I normally fish the Dix River tailwaters but they're getting totally blown out right now.

There used to be a USGS gauge for Otter Creek. I can't find it anymore. Not a very fun trip to make to find the ol' creek running like chocolate milk.

Please give us an update if you make it down there! Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Any opinions?

Thanks,
    I would avoid Trammel Creek right now...especially if there have been heavy rains IMO.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Trammel creek isn't too bad but the water is gin clear & i'm not having any luck on it.Starting too think all the fish moved out too Drakes creek or Barren river.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Otter Creek today from about Noon until 3pm. Spent the entire time at Blue Hole. Expected to be smallie fishing but caught 4 rainbows instead. First time I've caught trout that far down stream...I guess they've had plenty of high water and time move down there. Caught all 4 on a #10 olive bh wolly bugger. All but one were caught on the swing or pickup. All in all, a beautiful day and a great way to end 2011!

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Otter Creek today from about Noon until 3pm. Spent the entire time at Blue Hole. Expected to be smallie fishing but caught 4 rainbows instead. First time I've caught trout that far down stream...I guess they've had plenty of high water and time move down there. Caught all 4 on a #10 olive bh wolly bugger. All but one were caught on the swing or pickup. All in all, a beautiful day and a great way to end 2011!
    Thanks for the report. Good to hear someone got out and tossed the fly around. Careful, as you are wading in Tim's waters. He just might claim guide payment? ,,,,,,D

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Need a fix

Thanks for the update - I'm heading down there tomorrow around the same time of day with my older brother. If we have time, we'll work from the 1638 bridge downstream - maybe all the way to the Blue Hole, haven't done that in a long while.

will provide a quick update when I get back.

Post Thanks / Like

pflyer - can't thank you enough for your post. My brother and I used olive wooly buggers and different similar variations and had a nice day. Water is a little high and slightly stained - perfect WB fishing. Otter Creek Park was closed, so we fished on Fort Knox and picked up a decent number of rainbows.

Nice way to end 2011 with a couple of hours of fishing before the temps plummet in the next day or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser View Post
    pflyer - can't thank you enough for your post. My brother and I used olive wooly buggers and different similar variations and had a nice day. Water is a little high and slightly stained - perfect WB fishing. Otter Creek Park was closed, so we fished on Fort Knox and picked up a decent number of rainbows.

Nice way to end 2011 with a couple of hours of fishing before the temps plummet in the next day or so.

I've never fished the the Ft. Knox side of Otter Creek but have always wanted to. Is the process difficult? I'm assuming you go to the main gate and they can direct you to the appropriate office?

Glad you guys had a good day!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never fished the the Ft. Knox side of Otter Creek but have always wanted to. Is the process difficult? I'm assuming you go to the main gate and they can direct you to the appropriate office?

Glad you guys had a good day!
    Yes, it is a real pain in the ___. Go to main gate, you have to park, get out, go to a little kiosk, sign in and get a vehicle decal/certificate - just to enter the base.

From there, go to Hunt Control office - which is really a cool building with a lot of neat maps and other outdoors stuff. A little hard to find, but get good directions from the main gate.

Once at Hunt Control, you can get an annual permit for access to Fort Knox, such as the pump house and Camp Carlson. Other areas of the stream you have to sign into and get a special day permit.

*I did not go to Hunt Control on Saturday, I still had my annual pass from back in the spring, otherwise, I might not have bothered with it.

I'm looking forward to hitting the park though, much more room to move around. Maybe we'll get another warm up in the future!