Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Iran Oil Blockade

Here's another one fresh off the presses of ABCNEWS.COM. Personally I say go ahead of block the water way...let's let the chips fall where they may...I'm pretty much fed up with we'll cut this off, we'll boycott that, if you do that we'll do this, etc...so the troops are being pulled from Iraq, and here comes yet another threat of a dumb move by another country. Let it go Iran...put up your dukes and let's have at it! Actually I've been fed up with Iran since 1979.

Cutting off the flow of oil through the Strait of Hormuz, a small waterway that borders Iran, could disrupt roughly a third of the world?s tanker traffic and send oil prices skyrocketing, analysts say.

The Iranian First Vice President Mohammad Reza Rahimi Tuesday threatened to close the strait if other countries sanction Iran?s crude exports because of the country?s nuclear ambitions.

Roughly 20 percent of the world?s oil supply travels through the strait, which is only 20 miles wide, making it a tempting target for an Iranian naval blockade.

Shutting down the Strait of Hormuz would be ?easier than drinking a glass of water,? Iran?s naval chief, Adm. Habibollah Sayyari, said.

If Iran follows through on the threat, experts predict it could quickly translate into higher prices at the gas pump. Carl Larry, president of Oil Outlooks and Opinions, said that ?depending on how long this goes on, by summer time we could be looking upwards of $5 a gallon.?

Such a price increase from today?s average price of $3.26 a gallon could prove disastrous, according to economists at Moody?s, who say it would divert $218 billion in consumer spending in a year from discretionary items such as restaurant meals, vacations and trips to the shopping mall straight into the gas tank.

For now, however, the move seems unlikely. The United States Navy has vowed to stop the Iranians, saying that any attempt by the Iranians to disrupt traffic or otherwise block off the Strait of Hormuz ?will not be tolerated.?The U.S. government has also yet to back away from plans to impose sanctions on Iran.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Re: Iran Oil Blockade

Me thinks Iran might be biting off more than they can chew if they take on the US Navy. Counter-insurgency war ain't like naval warfare, Iran I think is taking a bad clue from Afghanistan and Iraq. Can't hide a ship, and shore batteries are ducks for Navy Pilots and Cruise missile men.

Be interesting to see if they are crazy enough to try it. Sure don't need any higher prices at the pump.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Iran Oil Blockade

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Me thinks Iran might be biting off more than they can chew if they take on the US Navy. Counter-insurgency war ain't like naval warfare, Iran I think is taking a bad clue from Afghanistan and Iraq. Can't hide a ship, and shore batteries are ducks for Navy Pilots and Cruise missile men.

Be interesting to see if they are crazy enough to try it. Sure don't need any higher prices at the pump.
    Agreed.

If they attempt to go toe-to-toe with the US Navy, they're dumber than I thought. The guerrilla warfare and insurgency on the ground is one thing, but Navy-to-Navy, my money is on the stars and stripes. I think we could have tankers flowing back through the strait in about an afternoon's time...and Mahmood Imanutjob wondering what happened to his fleet.