Search Fishin.com

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Fort Knox BRAC 100% done.

As of 13 Dec 11, the very last little bit of the Armor School left Fort Knox going to Fort Benning. 99.9% was done as Congress required by 15 Sep 11. This last bit was just a small headquarters left to clse out accounts.

In total:
    - 51 million pounds of freight shipped to Fort Benning.
    - 886 Semi-trailer (53 foot box vans) truck loads of equipment shipped to Benning.
    - 122 Railcars full of Combat tracked and Combat Wheeled Vehicles.
    - 280 Semi-trailer loads (53 footers) shipped to the disposal yard.
    - Govt paid about $20 million to have a national trucking and logistics company do it for them.

Going to be quiet around here with no tanks shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fort Knox BRAC 100% done.

yes indeed gonna be strange for Ft. Knox not to be the Armor School no more.......

Post Thanks / Like

They're changing everything about Fort Knox ain't they? I know there's a ton of old barracks out there sitting bone stock empty...I wonder what they intend to do with them? I live in Valley Station and I've heard the tanks firing off ever since I was a kid.

Any idea on what they're new plans are for Fort Knox?

Post Thanks / Like

Was working on Yano tank range this summer and it's a ghost range now! Not a tank to be found anywhere! Like Chubminnow said going to be quite around there unless you can hear the lead on a pencil break. Lived on post most my life and made a slew of money working on post. Not much happening up there now.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Camp Breckenridge (sp?) in Western Kentucky (Union County)! Prime example of what the future holds.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chubminnow View Post
    They're changing everything about Fort Knox ain't they? I know there's a ton of old barracks out there sitting bone stock empty...I wonder what they intend to do with them? I live in Valley Station and I've heard the tanks firing off ever since I was a kid.

Any idea on what they're new plans are for Fort Knox?
    Only the government.........check this
    http://www.fishin.com/forums2/showth...149#post476149

Post Thanks / Like

The tanks may come back. There is feasibility study going on as we speak of some tanks coming back from Ft Benning for maneuver training. It seem that the terrain (soft sandy soil), environmental factors, and limited space reduce the quality of training for tankers at Ft Benning. Experts are studying the cost benefit of keeping tanks at Ft Knox to train Officers and NCO's on the West side of Ft. Knox training area off Route 60. I don't know how long the study will take, but there's a slim chance they could bring some back. They know they had an excellent training area here to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom523 View Post
    The tanks may come back. There is feasibility study going on as we speak of some tanks coming back from Ft Benning for maneuver training. It seem that the terrain (soft sandy soil), environmental factors, and limited space reduce the quality of training for tankers at Ft Benning. Experts are studying the cost benefit of keeping tanks at Ft Knox to train Officers and NCO's on the West side of Ft. Knox training area off Route 60. I don't know how long the study will take, but there's a slim chance they could bring some back. They know they had an excellent training area here to begin with.
    Heard the same thing this summer. Apparently tank ranges are to small. Lot's of room to fire in down there in Yano.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Somehow, yu'da thunk they would have figger-ed that out afore we shipped all dis stuff south.

Now lets see, how would they get the tanker students in classes at Benning to Knox to shoot and maneuver. Oh... I know. C-130's from Benning the Airborne School would carry them into Godman Airfield, where they would marry up with troop trucks, to transport them to the motorpools to draw their tanks. With tanks now issued, they'd be off to the ranges and training areas for a "10-day war". At the end, the tanks would come back to be washed down, inspected, turned-in, and the troops transported back to the airfield. A C-130 ride puts thm back at Benning to graduate. Costs?

-2 each C-130 round trips Benning to Knox. (C130 about $3600 per flight hour at about 350 miles per hour) (4 hours round trip?)
    -Care taker labor force at Knox (Mil and govt civ)
    -Plus up of civilian jobs at Range Control to sign the folks in and out of ranges and training areas.
    - Plus up DOL Maintenance Division to do the tank maintenance while waiting for issue, while in the bushes, and on return to the motorpool.
    - Will the tanks drive to Yano? Didn't much before, so we'll need to hire commercial Heavy Equipment Transport Truck Drivers, or as an alternative, contract that out again.

OMG.....I thought that was all the costs we planned to avoid by moving this stuff south? DA!
    Last edited by HURRICANEBOB; 12-30-2011 at 09:22 PM.