Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up The *OFFICIAL* Cats vs Cards NYE'11 Thread

Well, the time draws nigh, and the bell will soon toll.

At High Noon tomorrow...New Year's Eve 2011...we'll all bare witness to one of the greatest rivalry games in all of sport, Kentucky vs Louisville on the hardwood. This game surpasses the Duke vs North Carolina rivalry, in my opinion, because of the story line. These are two historic programs, 70 miles apart, both residing in the state of Kentucky, both having won titles and been to multiple Final Fours, both with iconic coaches...one of which used to coach the other program and won a title there. The coaches have no love-loss for each other and used to be rivals when both their teams resided in Conference USA. Kentucky comes in ranked #3 with 1 loss to Indiana...Louisville comes in ranked #4 with 1 loss to Georgetown...best combined ranking in the history of the series.

We all know that the hatred between these two fan bases is vehement. All Kentucky fans are dumb toothless inbred hillbillies. All Cardinal fans are linebeard-wearing gold-tooth-displaying inner-city thugs. Those with common sense know this to be false and realize that the fanbases are much alike in their passion for their respective teams, but common sense lacks big when it comes to this rivalry in the state of Kentucky. Think of it like Hatfields vs McCoys, Good vs Evil, Rebels vs Yanks...completely polarizing, based on which side of the court you sit on.

I have never had the money for what tickets go for on the street for this game, nor the good fortune, to attend a UK vs UL basketball game in person. I've always had a party at the house and watched the TV screen intensely, often pacing, always screaming. I've seen some great games, just in my time...games where Cats whipped Cards, games where Cards whipped the Cats...elbows, fights, controversial calls...close games with last second miracles...you name it. I've seen Louisville teams that finished the regular season 12-19 shock Kentucky, and I've seen Kentucky teams rise up from the doldrums and beat the Cards in years when they shouldn't have. Take your best predictions and calculations based on stat lines and starting lineups and throw them out the window. This game comes down to emotion, heart, and luck 9 times out of 10. This game is THAT GAME on the schedule every year for me, as it is for many in this state....when folks say that weddings and special events get planned around it, they're not joking.

This year, lady luck fell my way, thanks to my employer and a relationship we have through advertising at Rupp Arena. Two tickets for lower arena seats fell into my lap. I'm taking my dear ole Dad, who has been on the earth a lot longer than me, yet has also never attended a UK-UL contest. We're pretty fired up, to say the least. My wife is pregnant and due on Wednesday, so she is about ready to pop at any minute....she's not too thrilled that I'm going to be at Rupp for 2 hours without cell service (it's horrible in there)....but I think she's giving me a pass on it. I'm hoping she can lay still and not get excited for those 2 precious hours. LOL

SO, good luck Cat fans....and good luck Card fans....win or lose, it will be fun. Anyone want to make predictions????

I'm hoping to ring in the new year with a Kentucky win, followed by a new baby girl. That would be a pretty dang good start if you ask me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The *OFFICIAL* Cats vs Cards NYE'11 Thread

Good clean respectable and fun post you made...deep down, and since I was born, rasied and live in Louisville I'd like to see Louisville win...but honestly as most people here know I don't keep up with sports much...so as long as one of the two teams win I'm fine with it.

I may or may not watch the game tomorrow...all depends on what else I find to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Have a great time with your father down in lower Rupp. Hope they win it for your father. might want to stick around and catch the radio show after the game. Dad may like that also and a great way to let the traffic clear out before you leave. I'll be kayaking down a river yet I'll my radio with me. Go CATS!!!

Post Thanks / Like

you will without a doubt have a wonderful time ! ive had the good fortune of attending this game four times. two in rupp and two in freedom hall. its a very exciting game to attend and the electricity and excitement is like no other.

personally as a UofL fan i want my team to win. both teams have great defense but in my honest opinion UK has a better offensive game.

UofL has to play zone better than ever and really turn it on behind the three point line, if that happens its going to be a close game. if not , i think UK will pull out by 7 with the score 79-72.

Splitshot hope you guys have a great time and congrats on the new addition !

Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't see this game as a more heated rivaly than the UK vs IU one......

But after watching both teams play all season long, it seems that a UK mud stompin is about to commense at 12:00 High...... But as tradition would have it, the game will be close at first with the score maybe close to even in the first 10 minutes.... Fouls will kill OTIS at Rupp and then the beating will commence....

I look for Uk to then start running away with the game similar to last years game at the Chicken Bucket Center......

I say the score will be UK 78 to OTIS 54..............

Good luck to both teams and hopefully no injuries occur and I really hope OTIS plays fair this year and no more of teh cheap shots like last year......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsgMills View Post
    I personally don't see this game as a more heated rivaly than the UK vs IU one......

But after watching both teams play all season long, it seems that a UK mud stompin is about to commense at 12:00 High...... But as tradition would have it, the game will be close at first with the score maybe close to even in the first 10 minutes.... Fouls will kill OTIS at Rupp and then the beating will commence....

I look for Uk to then start running away with the game similar to last years game at the Chicken Bucket Center......

I say the score will be UK 78 to OTIS 54..............

Good luck to both teams and hopefully no injuries occur and I really hope OTIS plays fair this year and no more of teh cheap shots like last year......
    You are being ignorant mills, cards by 5. Get ready to eat it.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it comes close to giving Mills a heart attack to say the phrase "University of Louiville Cardinals", since the only thing he ever seems to be able to mention is "OTIS"...Mills you're a "Hooser" fan aren't you?...how come you don't ever refer to the class act of University of Kentucky Wildcats as "OTDR" (aka - Other Team Down Road or "Outdoor")? I know you hate them too, don't you?

"You love going into a place like that, they're undefeated at home under Calipari and they haven't lost in the last three years at home. You want to go in a break those records. You want to go in there and make everybody quiet and shut those guys up." University of Louisville Point Guard - Peyton Siva. LOL...with a quote like that you gotta love this guys desire to play in a hostile environment.

I sure do wish I had tickets to this game...man I'd be selling them in a heartbeat...in this mornings sports section of the Courier-Journal it was reported that one "ticket broker" had base line seats for $1,500.00 dollars. Even if all I sold them for was twice the face value I'd sell them in a heart beat! The Courier-Journal also mentioned the Cards are going into Rupp Arena as 13 1/2 point under dog's...sounds like good odds if you're a Card fan.

Still not sure if I'll watch the game today or not...it sure is awfully nice outside...and my bird dog is itchin' for me to take her out in the field, plus I need to go to Feeder's Supply to buy her some chow, time will tell...Whatever happens happens...it's sure to be a good game that provides a lot of entertainment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSplitshot View Post
    We all know that the hatred between these two fan bases is vehement.
    I'm a lifelong Wildcat fan who grew up trying to mimic fellow lefthander Kevin Grevey's jumper. I became a U of L fan as well a few years ago when a friend's son made the Cardinal squad.

Here's the difference in the hatred that I perceive. The hatred some Louisville fans have is for Kentucky fans. The hatred some Kentucky fans have is for the fact that Louisville exists.

Post Thanks / Like

I could CARE less about the cats or the cards, but **** this SURE is funny.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqxfnXDVpo4&sns=fb

Post Thanks / Like

Geo, I had to stop watching that when it jumped the shark by referring to U of L fans as the ones with a "sense of entitlement". Possible Freudian slip by the creator..?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    I'm a lifelong Wildcat fan who grew up trying to mimic fellow lefthander Kevin Grevey's jumper. I became a U of L fan as well a few years ago when a friend's son made the Cardinal squad.

Here's the difference in the hatred that I perceive. The hatred some Louisville fans have is for Kentucky fans. The hatred some Kentucky fans have is for the fact that Louisville exists.
    100% correct.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bplgocards View Post
    You are being ignorant mills, cards by 5. Get ready to eat it.
    Whats he eatin?