Search Fishin.com

Thread: Dix Pattern

Post Thanks / Like

Dix Pattern

I am thinking about heading down below Herrington this weekend. I am new to fly fishing and am not sure what pattern to use down there this time of year. Any hints?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dix Pattern

Midges all day long. I like to drop one under an egg and bounce it on the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to check the USGS gauge before you go. Last time I looked a couple of days ago, they were blowing out the Dix to lower Herrington. Be extra careful with those kind of flows, especially around the spillway rapids.

If the water is up, stained, and rolling, you might want to throw some big streamers...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser View Post
    You might want to check the USGS gauge before you go. Last time I looked a couple of days ago, they were blowing out the Dix to lower Herrington. Be extra careful with those kind of flows, especially around the spillway rapids.

If the water is up, stained, and rolling, you might want to throw some big streamers...
    Looks like they are not pulling too hard at the moment. The lake is still high though.

I am not sure that I understand "under an egg"? Are you talking about a strike indicator?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smee View Post
    Looks like they are not pulling too hard at the moment. The lake is still high though.

I am not sure that I understand "under an egg"? Are you talking about a strike indicator?
    Just fyi, here is the USGS link to the gauge below the dam : http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ky/nwis/uv...65,00060,00062

It shows 8.85, which is most certainly around 2 turbines going at the powerhouse. That will be a pretty good set of rapids at the spillway rapids, but could be some nice current from the rapids downstream. I may be absolutely wrong on this, but that's been my observations over the years.

What kind of boat are you going to be in?

Post Thanks / Like

Just fyi, here is the USGS link to the gauge below the dam : http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ky/nwis/uv...65,00060,00062

It shows 8.85, which is most certainly around 2 turbines going at the powerhouse. That will be a pretty good set of rapids at the spillway rapids, but could be some nice current from the rapids downstream. I may be absolutely wrong on this, but that's been my observations over the years.

What kind of boat are you going to be in?
    No boat, just wading. I have means to access to the power plant.

Post Thanks / Like

Tie on an egg pattern and then tie on about 12 inches of 2lb flouro from the hook and tie on your midge. Fish that rig under an indicator.

Since you're fishing at the power plant, I would go down by the boat ramp. Fish from there downstream to the seam along the slow pool on the left.

It will be hard to deaddrift a fly up by the dam with that much water blowing through there. Been there, done that, never again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smee View Post
    No boat, just wading. I have means to access to the power plant.

Ahh... gotcha. So no worries about boating safety in swift current. Nonetheless, it does appear you will have a decent flow according to the gauge. It will be interesting what flies you end up throwing. I would take some streamers just in case.

Have a great time, please let us know how you do! I'm itching to get out there soon myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh... gotcha. So no worries about boating safety in swift current. Nonetheless, it does appear you will have a decent flow according to the gauge. It will be interesting what flies you end up throwing. I would take some streamers just in case.

Have a great time, please let us know how you do! I'm itching to get out there soon myself.
    I let the wind scare me off. I did not end up going. Just could not see me trying to cast in 20mph winds. I will post a report if I actually make it out sometime soon.