Search Fishin.com

Thread: Minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Minnows

Minnow purchases have been getting a little expensive around here. My 2 sons and nephew fish routinely and use minnows primarily. I purchased a few traps from Walmart today.

I figured I would put them out on Thursday bankside at some local ponds and run them twice on Thursday and twice on friday. My concern is water temps keeping them alive throughout the weekend.

Any tips and tricks would be grately appreciated.

Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Minnows

i just keep the water airated, keep the full bucket somewhere in your house that stays cool

Post Thanks / Like

[QPut them in a 5 gallon bucket and put them outside with an aerator pump on and they will last a long time.

UOTE=chuckconder;476458]Minnow purchases have been getting a little expensive around here. My 2 sons and nephew fish routinely and use minnows primarily. I purchased a few traps from Walmart today.

I figured I would put them out on Thursday bankside at some local ponds and run them twice on Thursday and twice on friday. My concern is water temps keeping them alive throughout the weekend.

Any tips and tricks would be grately appreciated.

Chuck[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Yes... an aerator pump that is for a fish tank will work great.... unless the water freezes they will last for a couple weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep a 50gal feeder trough in garage with a pool pump pumping water in and can keep a couple hundred big minnows alive for a really long time

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you have better luck than me with the trap, I've struck out since it got cold, and nobody around here has any to sell.
    Minnows will keep better when it's cold though. Lower metabolism= less oxygen used and less waste in the water. Just don't let it freeze.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great advise and suggestions. What about placement? Anybody running traps routinely?

Fishin is Life, In Florida, I had a simular setup to support greenback's. I now have a 50 gallon drum and plan to attach a small pool pump to it. The rounded barrel supposedly keeps the fish from injuring there selves.

Chuck