Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Catch & Release

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Catch & Release

No real answer to this one. A foul hooked fish doesn't stand much a chance when released. The stress evolved with landing a fish can also be a killer. Just wonder how many do survive after being released? Can't just single out the tourney fisherman. Anyone who catches a fish is possibly aiding in his death even after releasing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    No real answer to this one. A foul hooked fish doesn't stand much a chance when released. The stress evolved with landing a fish can also be a killer. Just wonder how many do survive after being released? Can't just single out the tourney fisherman. Anyone who catches a fish is possibly aiding in his death even after releasing.
    I disagree. There is a real answer to this. The answer to this thread is ......... a big ole Roll Tide back at ya Sweetwater!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by floatman View Post
    I agree with Rob, I can't see were keeping all the fish caught would make it better than releasing your fish, and RICH I guess I am presumptuous, I think tournament fisherman could put one hell of a dent in the bass population in any lake if they kept the fish , most tournaments have 5 fish some have 6, I think tournaments should promote better care of the fish maybe even lowering the limit during the hot weather times. .....JMO

Gary
    I do not agree with the idea of keeping all your limit, but I do see where raincheck is going with this idea...all though the mortality rate on kept fish is extremely high, killing them all is not the solution. I agree 100% with the catch, photo & release method...also, they should put a cap on the number of tournaments they hold on KY waters...I understand its all about money, but it puts a beating on KY fish.
    Guess I really don't have to worry about that anymore since the tourney bass fishing out here in Southern UT is practically non-existent...just a couple tourneys a year...so I don't have to rely on the good graces of tourney anglers to leave me some scraps .

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Terry. It makes no sense to me to put undue stress on a fish by carrying it around in a livewell all day, just to TRY and release it at the end of the day. CPR should be the new standard in tourney fishing IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I have several of the dead tournament bass in my freezer. Rarely do I ever see any go to waste, as most participants will gladly take them home.

Most tournament guys treat bass as their friends, and sometimes shed a tear when one goes belly up.

KDFWR monitors bass tournaments, their catches, and mortality rates - such things are taken into account when establishing yearly creel limits. If things were going badly, you'd see them make some changes.

You have to have fish die and can't expect them to all live...overpopulation is a bad thing, and fish kills keep it in check, whether you like it or not.

Post Thanks / Like

How many of you fish places like Elkhorn Creek where there is a slot limit? Do you keep any bass there or release them all?

Post Thanks / Like

I release all Bass & when i was a tournament director filled out the survey for KDFWR but don't remember it asking how many dead.Most directors don't fill them out.I started this thread too get feed back on this.CPR is here too stay.I will be talking about for yrs just like a good fish story.As for showing off your catch there is nothing like a life size picture to show off or a good replica of it.(looks better that a real mount)

Post Thanks / Like

The slot limit is on Elkhorn for a reason. Fish and Wildlife want us to keep the smaller bass. If any doubt this you can ask someone in fisheries. If CPR is your thing that's great. Nothing wrong with that. When I run a tournament, and I have put on a few, I post it on KDFWR website and fill out the post-tournament form with all the requested information including any dead fish. Fishing is fun and it should be. As long as we all abide by the regulations and ethics we can pursue it to our heart's delight in any form we choose.
    Raincheck, when it comes to a mount I'm with you on that. A photo is much cheaper too.

Post Thanks / Like

What if someone broke the state record for LARGEMOUTH and then announced that he wanted to have it mounted?

I wonder what kind of a reaction that would bring forth?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raincheck View Post
    I have come too beleave if it goes in the box it shouuld be for the table.If it wasn't for all the dead fish from tournaments our fishing spots would be better.I think in the future they should out law the release of fish after a tournament & feed the homeless or go too a CPR format.(Catch,Photo,Release)JMO
    River Basser
    Terry Adolph
    Not gonna argue mortality rate percentages with you BUT you are saying that putting a knife to them gives them a better chance for survival?? OK I would say (an opinion just like yours no scientific data) that more fish die from those who rightfully take their limit and eat them than from tourney fisherman. I do both so I can't throw rocks at glass houses. Oh, I did see a segment on North American Fisherman where they did a controlled study and catch and release (It may be on their website). But it showed that NO MATTER if caught and released immediately or kept in the livewell (proper taken care of) there was no significant difference in mortality in these situations. I believe the survey monitored the fish for 2 months. So according to this scientific data one can be killing them (while not immediately) in either situation. And according to this data, some fish will survive, so your idea has instant death while catch and release (either immediate or after live well) DOES give them at least a chance. Your saying, "kill more fish so their will be more to catch?"

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    Great post!! This is true, if you don't want to kill any them then quit fishing because some will die after catch and immediate release for the very reasons lidted by Coombro.

Post Thanks / Like

One would think that if you did not put the bass in a live well, ride it around in a boat, then take it out and put it in a bag, dump it on on a scale, then dump it back in the lake it would have a higher mortality rate then if you quickly returned it to the lake in the best possible condition after being caught.

Allowing an angler to take home a dead fish is not a good idea either. Some anglers will inevitably decide that they don't have enough weight to win the tournament but that seven lb. bass they caught today would sure look good on their wall.