Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catch & Release

Post Thanks / Like

Catch & Release

I have come too beleave if it goes in the box it shouuld be for the table.If it wasn't for all the dead fish from tournaments our fishing spots would be better.I think in the future they should out law the release of fish after a tournament & feed the homeless or go too a CPR format.(Catch,Photo,Release)JMO
    River Basser
    Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Catch & Release

Sometimes there are fish lost in tournaments, but some of those same fish would die when released when fun fishing too. Most tournament fisherman have done it long enough & learnd how to take care of their catch & also how to keep water cool & fresh. Yes their are a few that die for whatever reason, but there sure aren't that many lost because of tournament fisherman. What about Striper & Musky ??? Doesn't seem to be mentioned that much on hear other than a select few die hard Striper fisherman who call it quits when the water heats up ?? Are there that many who simply don't care about the other species .... or are there just a few that do & post about it & many more that don't ??? I understand your opinion completely, but I think a lot of you get carried away towards tourney fishing when you should look around at other fish that are way more susceptible to perish than Bass. Ask most Fish & wildlife agents who they think does the best & keeping their fish alive & released most times & see who they say. Yes I've been told this when I asked more than once. I fish Striper & Musky too.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that there are some lost even if released ASAP but those should go in the box too be ate.With all the money spent on trying too keep fish alive why not invest it into CPR.As for taking care of fish some of the best don't know how too even fiss a fish.I have caught bass over 15inch's that didn't weigh much over a pound.Till i started CPR i only had too cull a few times but all most every time i CPR fished i culled.

Post Thanks / Like

If we didn`t have catch and release, there would not be any fish there for you to catch!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joey heller View Post
    If we didn`t have catch and release, there would not be any fish there for you to catch!
    That's pretty presumptuous thinking that tourney fisherman catch that many fish in a lake. I believe raincheck's point is to continue catch & release, just not in the manner of dramatically increasing the risk of mortality by beating them around in your livewell during a days worth of fishing. Take a picture, let it go...I totally agree...

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I agree totally. If the tourney fisherman did not release the fish they caught, us mediocre guys would not have a prayer. Our fish wold be the dinks or the really really dumb blind ones the pros did not get. I have had guys follow me down a bank and take one or two fish off a stump I just fished. Thanks for throwing them back. Eat the bluegills and crappie!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We should always think Catch, Care and Release. I'm a multi-species angler and release most of what I catch, though I keep a few to eat now and then. No matter what we fish for, if it goes back in the water, show it some respect.

I don't see weigh ins going away for bass, I've always thought that stiffer penalties for dead bass would encourage guys to take better care of their fish. And we shouldn't be afraid to speak up when we see some one carelessy dumping a bag of bass back in the water. And I really hate seeing a long weigh in line in hot weather!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1678 View Post
    I agree totally. If the tourney fisherman did not release the fish they caught, us mediocre guys would not have a prayer. Our fish wold be the dinks or the really really dumb blind ones the pros did not get. I have had guys follow me down a bank and take one or two fish off a stump I just fished. Thanks for throwing them back. Eat the bluegills and crappie!!!
    I agree with Rob, I can't see were keeping all the fish caught would make it better than releasing your fish, and RICH I guess I am presumptuous, I think tournament fisherman could put one hell of a dent in the bass population in any lake if they kept the fish , most tournaments have 5 fish some have 6, I think tournaments should promote better care of the fish maybe even lowering the limit during the hot weather times. .....JMO

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

All i'm trying too say is there is a better way too treat our FISH than the present way.I knew growing up there was pro anglers but could count them on 1 hand.Now days the sky's the limit & growing.

Post Thanks / Like

Sort of like the ALABAMA Rig as long as it's legal do what you like & the ones of us that actually like fishing tournaments will to. Think about it, it's legal according to the Fish & Wildlife rules so don't condem anyone for abiding by the rules. I hate seeing anyone eat Bass too, but I'm not going to rake them over the coals because they keep a few as long as they're doing it legal. More power to them. Wonder how many Crappie, Catfish, Waleye or the average Striper fishermen actually practice catch & release unless they are like me & don't want to clean them??? Not meaning the die hards as they are very conscious about Striper mortality. I absolutley believe there are very few Crappie fishermen that would cull much that's legal. Atleast none of them that I know do & that's several. I understand your point, but it's 100% legal so why raise cain about it ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raincheck View Post
    I have come too beleave if it goes in the box it shouuld be for the table.If it wasn't for all the dead fish from tournaments our fishing spots would be better.I think in the future they should out law the release of fish after a tournament & feed the homeless or go too a CPR format.(Catch,Photo,Release)JMO
    River Basser
    Terry Adolph
    CPR would be great if every participant had integrity, unfortunately that's not the case. There was a similar thread on here last year and most every tourney fisherman will get very defensive in this discussion. Are they trying to protect their ego or their $$. Either way raincheck you will not find many tournament fisherman on here that will agree with the idea of releasing a fish before there's an opportunity to show it off a little. I don't have a problem with catching a fish anytime you want, my concern is why would you not want to release the fish as soon as possible and in the best condition possible? ROLLTIDE!!

Post Thanks / Like

We have enough Law"s Why do we need a law too change too a better way of taking care of our FISH.Waste not Want not.JMO