Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Catch & Release

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Catch & Release

I won't ever get a fish mounted again.I had a replica done from 1 picture that looks so much better than a true mount & i think it will stay better looking after its old than some dead fish mount YMO

Post Thanks / Like

Im surprised nobody has brought up the newly formed MLF (Major League Fishing) created by Boyd Duckett. They have pretty much all the big name pros and its a catch and release tourney series. They weigh every fish they catch and whoever has the heaviest total weight wins. No limit to number of bass. They have an official on every boat who weighs the fish and then they are immediately released. All the boats actually have an up to date live scoreboard on them so the guys know where they stand. Lets see how the catch and release format is liked by the best of the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishinPhil View Post
    Im surprised nobody has brought up the newly formed MLF (Major League Fishing) created by Boyd Duckett. They have pretty much all the big name pros and its a catch and release tourney series. They weigh every fish they catch and whoever has the heaviest total weight wins. No limit to number of bass. They have an official on every boat who weighs the fish and then they are immediately released. All the boats actually have an up to date live scoreboard on them so the guys know where they stand. Lets see how the catch and release format is liked by the best of the best.
    That sounds great and I'm sure most tourney guys would like that format. I'm sure most folks tourney or pleasure fisherman are concerned enough that even if it's only a very small percentage(tenths of a percent I believe) difference in mortality that it would be welcomed. I was suprised with the data collected by the North American Fisherman biologists. I do like the sound of that format.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good idea til one of them officials takes a little money under the table. Proof's in the pudding.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that it would be alot harder to regulate a tournament on the local level using the CPR system. It would be to hard to keep all the fishermen in the tourny honest without a ref. in every boat. Not to mention that it is not needed. With the products we have today to help keep fish alive in the livewell sometimes it's better to place a fish that has fought hard or hooked deep in the livewell with these products even if your going to release them. Rejuvenade, and Please Release Me from BPS just to name a couple.
    The additive restores the slime coat of the bass, just incase you touched the fish, or it hit the boat carpet. The additive will also help with any sores the fish might have, and literally save fish that bled all over the deck from being stuck too deep. It will stop the blood flow.
    Also in the heat of the summer when oxygen levels get low in the lake, putting a fish in the livewell and adding hydergine peroxide in the livewell put instant oxygen in the water and helps the fish not only calm down but relieves the stress of a hard fight. So, no I don't think CPR is the answer or solution. As soon as something as pointless as CPR is enforced one tournament trail it wouldn't be long before the animal rights nuts start tring to ban an tournament that didn't comply. Even though scientific data stats otherwise.

Just my two cents,
    DJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    Sounds like a good idea til one of them officials takes a little money under the table. Proof's in the pudding.
    You make a good point on the local level but in a series like they are putting on it shouldn't be an issue with all of the spectator boats plus the television cameras following the guys around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    I agree about the pudding,seen it 1st hand 4 myself..........main reason i quit fishing traditional type tournaments................

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    One would think that if you did not put the bass in a live well, ride it around in a boat, then take it out and put it in a bag, dump it on on a scale, then dump it back in the lake it would have a higher mortality rate then if you quickly returned it to the lake in the best possible condition after being caught.

Allowing an angler to take home a dead fish is not a good idea either. Some anglers will inevitably decide that they don't have enough weight to win the tournament but that seven lb. bass they caught today would sure look good on their wall.
    I don't know you at all but you need to quit posting. You're making entirely too much sense.

Post Thanks / Like

I am relatively new to fishing (bank fished for 2 years and less than a year with my first boat) but I do not see that there is that much of an issue with a lack of fish from a high mortality rate. I know that I am spoiled at my home lake of Cedar Creek but there are tons of fish there, they range in size from: as my daughter would say "Ah he's a baby he needs to grow up:0) to "Oh my god! Please don't come off! Please don't come off! and the pressure there is insane! I think the current system (KY F&W creel, size and slot limits) works great. I am a true believer on a personal level of catch, photo, and release but I have no problem with anyone who keeps a legal catch. I'll end by saying that Cedar Creek is my church and I am closer to god there than I am anywhere else. I do ask that everyone strive to keep our respective churchs clean by not throwing trash and damaged plastic baits in the lakes. This is much more destructive than keeping fish. Be safe and enjoy every moment of life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pointer View Post
    I don't know you at all but you need to quit posting. You're making entirely too much sense.
    Thank you, but my husband can't make me be quite and it's highly improbable that anyone else could either. lol

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand the argument here.