Search Fishin.com

Thread: Humminbird 898

Post Thanks / Like

Humminbird 898

Ive read some previous posts and watched a couple youtube vids on the SI's just looking for any tips, tricks, do's, dont's or other suggestions when it comes to installing.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Humminbird 898

I spent most of the day looking at U Tube Videos about the Humminbird SI units and how they work and how to get the most out of them.

Go To UTube and search for "Humminbird"

I've had my 898 since last spring and am still learning new things about how it works.

BTW: I just got an email from Humminbird telling me about new software update features coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by stoner View Post
    Ive read some previous posts and watched a couple youtube vids on the SI's just looking for any tips, tricks, do's, dont's or other suggestions when it comes to installing.
    1. The ability to turn off the text screen on the left side of the SI view and only show the temp and depth in the bottom left corner of the screen. This give you full view of the left side of the SI screen's most recent data.

2. North up arrow on the display maps while in "track up" mode.

3. Casting circles displayed around the waypoints on the screen.

4 Will show the distance on the map view to each of the closest ten waypoints.

A few other changes are in the works as well as future waypoint managment software that's coming out this year hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, looks to be quite an adventure. Im aways off before getting to any software updates. maybe they will be in place by the time i get it installed.

Post Thanks / Like

bassboatcentral has a lot of good information and people that are helpful. There is also a yahoo group that is titled the unofficial humminbird side imaging group. They have installation pics of every kind of boat. It was helpful to me when installing mine. Check this guys page out. He has very good videos and information. He answers all my questions on bassboatcentral.

http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks MJ, ive been on the yahoo site very helpful. Lots of info to comb thru.

Post Thanks / Like

Does it matter a great deal if the GPS puck is under console v/s being exposed? Ive seen pics of them done both ways and like the under console idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Does it matter a great deal if the GPS puck is under console v/s being exposed? Ive seen pics of them done both ways and like the under console idea.
    Get it with an internal GPS.......I looked long and hard for internal. A little more spendy, but way better than stepping on it or dealing with shooting through the console.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it matters a lot

GPS is most accurate when the antenna has a 360 deg view of the sky.

Anything that blocks the view of a satellite can make the GPS reading less accurate.

The GPS satellite signals are not very strong and easily blocked by trees or objects.

I recommend putting the GPS antenna up above the boat so that it has a good view of the entire sky to get best accuracy.

It will work but not as good as it should or could if you mount it on the deck.

Below the deck it will be out of sight of a lot of the GPS satellites and not work very well at all.

You need at least three good satellite signals to get a longitude, latitude and height reading using GPS. The more satellite signals your gps can receive the better and more accurate it will be.

The WAAS satellite is one of the most important ones to see and it's not very high above the horizon so you need a high up puck position in order for the antenna to see the WAAS satellite.

Hope this helps.

PS put the antenna as close to the transducer as possible to get the best accuracy when marking waypoints.

Post Thanks / Like

The Humminbird 898 comes with an 50 channel external antenna puck and it's a lot better than the internal ones on the cheaper units.

Again put the GPS antenna puck as close to your transducer as possible and mount it up high. I use a 2 ft marine antenna extension pole and marine antenan base to mount my hummingbird gps antenna puck on the pole above the motor.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Get it with an internal GPS.......I looked long and hard for internal. A little more spendy, but way better than stepping on it or dealing with shooting through the console.

Later,

Geo