Search Fishin.com

Thread: Made in the usa

Post Thanks / Like

Made in the usa

I bought an older jeep wrangler to fix up, and called a local tire store for some prices on tires and wheels, after getting a price from them. I got on the internet and found they were giving free shipping on wheels and tires. so I placed my order. got my tires in the first week, got my wheels 5 weeks later. saved almost 3 hundred by using the net. my tires were " GENERALS " made in the " USA " and bought " AMERICAN RACING WHEELS " thinking with a name like American racing wheels they would be made in the USA also. but not so, when I unpacked the wheels, they had a sticker that read " MADE IN CHINA " I like the wheels, but I was disappointed that they were made in china, with an American name.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Made in the usa

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    I bought an older jeep wrangler to fix up, and called a local tire store for some prices on tires and wheels, after getting a price from them. I got on the internet and found they were giving free shipping on wheels and tires. so I placed my order. got my tires in the first week, got my wheels 5 weeks later. saved almost 3 hundred by using the net. my tires were " GENERALS " made in the " USA " and bought " AMERICAN RACING WHEELS " thinking with a name like American racing wheels they would be made in the USA also. but not so, when I unpacked the wheels, they had a sticker that read " MADE IN CHINA " I like the wheels, but I was disappointed that they were made in china, with an American name.
    Did you send them back and pay more for an American Product?

I'm Like you though. I will purchase WHAT I can afford. When it is an American product, then GREAT.........when it is foreign, well, it was was the best price and best product for my needs.

There was a post on here a few months ago about you GET what you pay for. I completely agree with that. For my boat, I wanted an AMERICAN MADE power tilt and trip unit. It took me a **** long time tracking down an American Company for that part. When I found one, the part was triple what a cheap CHINESE motor would cost. I weighed the options, and paid the extra money. That part is too critical to me to have a piece of JUNK controlling it.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

no, I didn't send them back. I keep them but when I was looking for wheels, the American name fooled me. but I new that General tires were american made. have them on 3 of the 4 autos that I own.

Post Thanks / Like

For you guys like me that prefer to buy American made products when you can, there are a few websites dedicated to goods made right here. You can find several just by doing a simple search of American made goods. Also for those that don't know, Texas Jeans, Diamond Gusset Jeans, and Thorogood boots (as well as some of the Justin's) are made here, just to throw out a few names I have found while looking. I know its a little off topic since you were discussing tires and wheels but just thought I'd throw out a few American brands for other goods and a means to search for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck buying wheels made in America. Most all wheels are made abroad now...China/SE Asia...there are a few American made holdouts, but they are VERY PRICEY. American Racing wheels have been around for a long time. It's an American company based here, but their production is abroad. Cheap labor. BUT, your dollar helped pay for the Americans they employ here in their sales offices, distribution warehouses, etc. All is not lost.

Now, on your tires...Did you know that General Tire is owned by Continental Tire, which is a German company? True story. Continental bought General Tire years back. Now, having said that Continental-General is an awesome company and makes world class product. I have them on my own truck and soon to be on my wife's car. They just spent millions to open a new plant in South Carolina that is going to employee a lot of folks down there making tires. They also have a plant in Mt Vernon, Illinios. It's one of the largest commercial truck tire plants in the world.

It's a global economy. I'm all for the made-in-the-USA thing, but a lot of it has to do with where your dollar ends up and who it benefits along the way. You bought one product made in China, from an American-Based company. You bought another product made in the USA, from a Germany-Based company. Both benefit the American economy in their own way.

Post Thanks / Like

I never understood the "Buy American" preaching that people do...if it weren't for such high business taxes and an unfavorable market here in the USA, we wouldn't have to even be thinking about "Buy American". You say "Buy American", I say "NOBAMA".

PS - if every single thing you bought was made in America, there's no way you could ever make a difference against all of the Chinese stuff bought at Wal-Mart with those government handout checks at the first of each month.....I was in Wal-Mart this weekend and what a mistake I made going in there! They certainly come out of the woodwork with those checks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    I never understood the "Buy American" preaching that people do...if it weren't for such high business taxes and an unfavorable market here in the USA, we wouldn't have to even be thinking about "Buy American". You say "Buy American", I say "NOBAMA".

PS - if every single thing you bought was made in America, there's no way you could ever make a difference against all of the Chinese stuff bought at Wal-Mart with those government handout checks at the first of each month.....I was in Wal-Mart this weekend and what a mistake I made going in there! They certainly come out of the woodwork with those checks!
    Global Economy...........I agree with you for the most part........

BUT, when China artificially devalues their yuan (dollar). When we run a 10/1 trade deficit, when THEIR government subsidizes most of their economic products, It is NOT a GLOBAL ECONOMY. At least it is not what I would call "free" trade.

We need to push China for reforms. They need to play by better economic rules. They need to allow our products in their country....AND NOT by making them in their COUNTRY (aka Chevy Volt).

Once we get to that, maybe we will be able to compete.

and for the record.........Sam Walton would be rolling over in his grave. Do you guys remember before the kids took over WalMart, they were the "buy American" store........YOU REMEMBER??

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    and for the record.........Sam Walton would be rolling over in his grave. Do you guys remember before the kids took over WalMart, they were the "buy American" store........YOU REMEMBER??

Later,

Geo
    Yep it was their selling point for sure!

Post Thanks / Like

Well…I guess everyone can argue all they want about U.S. verses foreign goods. One of the main reasons the U.S. has such expensive goods is one simple fact, safety, rules, regulations, laws, etc

Let’s take a construction site in China verses a construction site in America. In China they do not close off areas in construction of large commercial buildings where areas of demolition and remodeling occur, no signs saying “please use the back entrance while we undergo renovation”, no separate walkway, no tape or ropes blocking off the area of construction, etc. There’s also no Chinese version of OSHSA either.

Now, come to a job site in America…areas of construction are always off limits to the general public and are usually sealed up with temporary boards, plywood partitions, etc. If you want a peek at what is happening behind the temporary façade you better have a hard hat, fluorescent orange safety vest, etc.

The point is that we in the U.S. have a LOT of laws around safety and around every aspect of life really, government, technology, etc. In China and many MANY other countries that are FEWER rules, laws and regulations, which also means this enables them to make produce products more efficiently and less expensive. Whereas here in the states, more laws mean human safety better products and consumer rights.

Would we as U.S. citizens be willing to take more risk for a cheaper product? Heck, maybe a lot of the laws we have in place now are a bunch of voodoo anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chubminnow View Post
    Well…I guess everyone can argue all they want about U.S. verses foreign goods. One of the main reasons the U.S. has such expensive goods is one simple fact, safety, rules, regulations, laws, etc

Let’s take a construction site in China verses a construction site in America. In China they do not close off areas in construction of large commercial buildings where areas of demolition and remodeling occur, no signs saying “please use the back entrance while we undergo renovation”, no separate walkway, no tape or ropes blocking off the area of construction, etc. There’s also no Chinese version of OSHSA either.

Now, come to a job site in America…areas of construction are always off limits to the general public and are usually sealed up with temporary boards, plywood partitions, etc. If you want a peek at what is happening behind the temporary façade you better have a hard hat, fluorescent orange safety vest, etc.

The point is that we in the U.S. have a LOT of laws around safety and around every aspect of life really, government, technology, etc. In China and many MANY other countries that are FEWER rules, laws and regulations, which also means this enables them to make produce products more efficiently and less expensive. Whereas here in the states, more laws mean human safety better products and consumer rights.

Would we as U.S. citizens be willing to take more risk for a cheaper product? Heck, maybe a lot of the laws we have in place now are a bunch of voodoo anyway.
    I do think that alot of our laws are stupid. I also think that many rules and regs on construction sites slow the process down and increase cost. I also know for a fact that many of them don't get followed and thats the only way some of these fast track projects get completed. Sure some people follow OSHA to the letter but when they are not looking things get done!
    Look at the new regs for Hospital work. Getting ceiling permits from the engineering department to look above the ceiling or better yet putting up barriers or self contained pods just so you can look above the ceiling only to find thats the wrong tile. Infection Control in Healthcare dominates/trumps all construction schedules in existing hospitals. We now have more after hours work, Prep work, clean up and get blamed for any dust. It's fine (and to some extent needed) since we charge for it but the cost of projects in existing Hospitals has jumped throught the roof!
    Lawsuits have caused this.