Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

First time w/ Fishing Guide-few questions

I'm hiring a guide for the first time this spring and was hoping someone with experience could answer a few questions.

First off, do you tip and if so how much? This is an independent guy so I wasn't sure if a tip was expected or not. I know hunting ranches typically have guides that work for the ranch and a large percent of their pay comes from clients tips.

Secondly, I'm hiring this gentleman specifically to show me how to fish a particular species on THAT lake. Seeing as he makes a living guiding on that same lake is it ok if I bring my map/gps with me? I feel like that might be rude for a local to be taking notes with the intention of coming back in his boat to fish some of the same areas.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time w/ Fishing Guide-few questions

Quote Originally Posted by james_677 View Post
    I'm hiring a guide for the first time this spring and was hoping someone with experience could answer a few questions.

First off, do you tip and if so how much? This is an independent guy so I wasn't sure if a tip was expected or not. I know hunting ranches typically have guides that work for the ranch and a large percent of their pay comes from clients tips.

Secondly, I'm hiring this gentleman specifically to show me how to fish a particular species on THAT lake. Seeing as he makes a living guiding on that same lake is it ok if I bring my map/gps with me? I feel like that might be rude for a local to be taking notes with the intention of coming back in his boat to fish some of the same areas.

Thanks in advance for your help!

the tip is up to you but it is appreciated, the amount is based on your perception of how hard the guy worked (remember he may make hard work look easy if he's good at what he does).

to answer the second question ? ask HIM.....not us, he will be the one to decide whether its appropriate or not, if he thinks it inappropriate to bring a gps then you will need to decide if you are looking to learn his techniques or his spots. just remember if you are looking to learn his spots you are going to have to go with him more than once as "spots" change throughout the year/conditions....thats what makes him a guide.
    most of all be honest with him about what your intentions are, he may need to customize a trip for what youre after.
    best of luck.

p.s. you should look for "dave stewart" on this forum, he would probably be able to help you as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a certain % to base the tip on? Like in a restaurant a standard tip would be 20% of the total bill.

You are correct, I'm more interested in learning his techniques vs his spots. I hand planned on just fishing the same spots he showed me year round. My plan was to get a jump start learning a new fish on a close lake. I was worried the guy might get mad if I picked his brain for 8 hours on how to fish his lake if he new I was coming back.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I would tip- at least 20 bucks and more if it was a good trip, esp if he cleaned fish for you.
    Secondly, I myself would never take a map or gps. He makes his living on fishing and there really isn't one magic spot.
    I took a guided striper trip and it was best money I've ever spent. Over the 8 hour trip the guide explained the how, the why and the when. I did not attempt to get all the info the first 15 min in the boat. One can learn an awful lot by keeping your eyes and ears open and mouth shut. Be personable and no need to tell him all of your fish stories(he's heard them all- TWICE!)
    Hopefully after your trip you can then formulate your own style and be thankful you spent your money on something worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish with the same guide on the same lake at least twice every year. I tip each trip based on how hard he worked that particular trip, not just on how many fish we caught.

I would ask the guide beforehand about maps and gps. Tell the guide what your expectations are and see how he/she reacts. Most guides are more than willing to teach you techniques and strategies. As someone else mentioned, specific locations will vary by season and year. However, general locations (rock walls, mud banks, creek channels, etc) are fairly predictable. Just try to be friendly and you will pick up a lot of good info.

Post Thanks / Like

TIP= To insure perfect service.

Post Thanks / Like

I will take a stab at this for you since I am an independent guide and have been for many years:

Tipping: Tipping has been a traditional part of using charters and guide services for many many years. The typical tip is the same as waitress or other personal service occupations....10-15% and is pretty much based on how you perceive the quality of the service you received. Now having said that, let me say how I perceive tipping from this guide's point of veiw: If you as my client feel I worked hard for you and tried my best to provide you with the service you indicated to me that you wanted...ie...caught fish, learned something specific you wanted to learn etc...and you can afford to tip..then the tip is certainly appreciated. I understand that some of my clients cannot afford to tip....they save up money just to be able to afford the trip....and I certainly do not feel slighted if I am not tipped....I also understand that some folks do not tip me nor anyone ....including waitresses etc....that is part of life. Some follks are not aware of the tradition of tipping guides....that is part of life. I set my rates so that my business will not fail from lack of tipping...but of course I will accept tips if offered, especially since my rates have gone up less than 10% over the past 5 years and my biggest expenses (fuel, tackle and maintenance) have gone up well over 100 % during the same time period.

Maps and GPS: This will vary from guide to guide. Most guides do allow gps or maps in their boats. You will actually see this on their advertisements (websites included). Some guides will allow maps and gps. But, it is always prudent of you to ask before hand if you can bring one or both of these with you...whether or not you are getting in a boat with a guide or anyone else that you don't know intimately. For myself, I do not care if you bring a gps for each hand and a stack of maps with you....but I know some guides that would put you on shore if you did that....so ask up front or you may have a problem.

The best things that you can do before going out with any guide:

1. Get references. I don't mean ask the guide for references....you really don't expect the guide to refer you to anyone for a reference that might give them a negative recommedation do you? Ask the local tackle shops and folks that you know have been out with them before etc. Internet discussion boards like this one or other sites that are targeting the type fish you are after are good places to get some feedback on the guide also.....if you don't want to ask a question like that on the internet board...just do a discussion board search on the guides name or business name. If learning is more important to you than just catching fish, try to find out from those sources recommendations for the guide that can and will teach you what you want to know.

2. Be realistic in your expectations: No guide goes out and loads the boat with big fish or big numbers of fish every day anymore than KVD does or Superman does...lol. But you can learn from the guide if he is knowledgeable and is willing to teach you...and most guides are willing to do this, just some more than others. I encourage you to ask questions.....if you don't ask the question, I can't read your mind and may not answer your question through out the course of the day. On the other hand, don't expect to learn more than is possible in one trip...lol. Example: I teach a class here in the winter about how to eliminate water to find the highest percentage spots for bass on any lake or river during all the seasons of the year....this class takes approximately 6 hours of intense learning in a class room...don't expect me to be able to teach you that while we are out in the boat trying to catch fish....lol....but on the other hand, I can tell you why we are fishing where we are that day and show you techniques to catch the fish that day and talk to you about the decisions I am making to come to that conclusion etc.....

3. Most important: Talk to your guide before trip...preferably before you book with him. Let the guide know exactly what you want to get out of the trip and ask them how they will go about trying to provide what you want. If you are wanting to learn say, how to fish a ledges, let the guide know that is what your intent is....if you just tell the guide that you want to catch fish...that is what he is going to do...try to put you on some fish and he may not even fish a ledge that day because the better bite is on a different pattern right now.....in the same respect, if you are wanting to learn how to fish ledges and the best pattern is not ledges that day, don't get upset if you don't catch a bunch of fish because the guide has you out on ledges trying to teach you. Basically, a little discussion between you and the guide before the trip will allow you to find out what to expect and give the guide the information he needs to know to allow him to try to meet your expections.

If you have any questions you would like to ask me personally...I have no problem with your calling me or anyone else calling me....fishing is my business...bass fishing that is...and I love to talk about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Great information there Dave.

I've always wanted to do an on the water type of class with someone, but as far as maps, I would want one, not for marking spots, but for the simple fact that, you need to "see" what you are fishing. If you are throwing at stumps 5' off the bank, you need to see what is around that brought the fish to those certain set of stumps.

I myself would also love to take an off the water class on eliminating water, and what to look for on maps and how to decipher travel patterns. I need more work on "finding" the fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by james_677 View Post
    Is there a certain % to base the tip on? Like in a restaurant a standard tip would be 20% of the total bill.
    That's the way I've always done it, whether it be fishing or hunting. I chartered the same saltwater guide two days in a row while on vacation in Florida. After paying and tipping him well for the first day, even though the weather wasn't quite right and we didn't do so hot, he went above and beyond the second day...so that tip was money well spent. Even ended up with a little extra time as he put us on the mother load of Cero at the end of the day and let us go ahead and fill the box.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astrobass View Post
    Great information there Dave.

I've always wanted to do an on the water type of class with someone, but as far as maps, I would want one, not for marking spots, but for the simple fact that, you need to "see" what you are fishing. If you are throwing at stumps 5' off the bank, you need to see what is around that brought the fish to those certain set of stumps.

I myself would also love to take an off the water class on eliminating water, and what to look for on maps and how to decipher travel patterns. I need more work on "finding" the fish.
    Be happy to give the class....come take it and you will know why those bass were around those stumps and more. I still have openings for this month and in February.

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice from everyone, here are my $0.02 from a few years of guiding flyfishing out west:
    Tips are great, they are usually cash and can be anywhere from 0-$200 for a day depending on what the trip is, how it went, and who is tipping.

What to bring on a trip depends on a great many factors, sometimes all you need to do is step on the boat, and everything from sunscreen to drinks to bait is provided. Find out exactly what you need to bring before you go, and then take a few can't fish withouts just in case. In bad situations I have had friends hire a guide and leave their gear in the truck only to wish they had it out on the water.

Then you speak with the guide BEFORE you go and AFTER you shake hands about what you both think the day will go like, it might change.

Not being a bass guy I don't understand why you wouldn't take a GPS and a map with you, if you are trying to learn a lake I would have those as well as a notebook packed and used before I wet a line. I have had some great days guiding when in 8 hours we fished for an hour or so. If a client is moving to an area and wants a guide to level out the learning curve for potentially years of future fishing, working crankbaits off some main lake points seems like something that can be done without a guide.

Instead I would focus on seasonal changes that can effect the fishing, things like drawdown issues, tournament timing, plant blooms, regulations, conservation issues, ramp closures, stocking schedules, bait shops, and whatever else you can think of.

A guide knows that if he teaches you a lake and you are going to fish it often, even if he doesn't show you the honey hole, he is going to pull up with a client one day and there you will be. That is part of fishing and being inclusive, you might be nice enough to say hello, and let him in because he is earning a living and you are out for fun.

I do see the guide saying no to a GPS if you tell him you want all of his money spots for an upcoming tournament, but I'm not a bass guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveStewart View Post
    2. Be realistic in your expectations: No guide goes out and loads the boat with big fish or big numbers of fish every day

3. Most important: Talk to your guide before trip...preferably before you book with him. Let the guide know exactly what you want to get out of the trip and ask them how they will go about trying to provide what you want.
    Dave is right on with these.

Might I also add...

No.2 - weather, current, and varying conditions can dramatically affect the outcome of your trip...just be mindful that the guide cannot control these factors. I had a buddy split a charter once with me, and he was mad as heck we didn't do so hot. The fact that it was blowing hard made it difficult to target the species we were after, as well as making it difficult to stay on the spot, and it was an overall tough day...wasn't the guide's fault. My buddy kept thinking we should get a discount or something, to which I told him that he'd make the guide really mad if he started in on that. That guide worked his tail off and I think he wanted to catch a fish more than we did! You can't stiff a guide like that for things beyond his control.

No. 3 is a biggie - if the guide says, "you might want to wait a few weeks before coming", listen and take his advice! I had some friends that were deadset on hunting Reelfoot Lake in early Dec. one year - the guide said to wait a few weeks - I voted that we listen to the guide, but ended up being in the minority, so we went anyways. It was the most depressing hunting trip I can recall...fired one shot the entire weekend. Don't ever put yourself in that spot, as it's very difficult opening up the wallet when that happens...wasn't the guide's fault, as he tried to warn us.