Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jig Tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Jig Tips?

This winter instead of reading every bass article I find I've been trying to focus on reading only articles about jigs. I have fished them on and off for a few years but have never gotten that good. Anybody have any good tips they would be willing to share? Colors, retrieves, best conditions, etc. Thanks....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jig Tips?

Find a lake that you know there is a lot of bass on it and practice. I had a hard time with them untill i just took jigs and made myself use them and now i have one tied on a rod everytime im on the water.( cant go wrong with black and blue) I use 10 pound p-line xxx and fish everything from drops at ky to small lakes in IND. only you get used to them its hard to put it down. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I learned by leaving my tackle box at home and taking nothing but a couple jigs. Nothing will teach you like being on the water and experimenting. remember, hooksets are free. Tight lines, and good luck.

Also, here is more information than you ever wanted to know about jigs, but all the info in the world won't substitute experience on the water.

http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/jig-fishing.shtml

Just my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like

Biggest tip I ever was told is make sure your jig is on bottom. Considering current, depth and other conditions make sure your jig weight will stay an the bottom when worked. U see people using weights so small., especially at KY when they are pilling water, that they think they are on bottom but not feeling anything. I hand them my rod and it takes one cast to see what is actually on bottom

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody... Do any of you all use straight braid? Do you all do more dragging or hopping?

Post Thanks / Like

That's something you'll have to let the fish tell you. Start out dragging it, that's easier for me, if your not getting bit, try hopping it, try mixing it up, drag, hop, hop drag, let it sit and just shake your rod tip a little. The only way i can't seem to have any luck with is swimming a jig. I know it will catch fish, i just can't seem to. I'll tell you this, i've fished over 300 tourn. On barren, nolin and rough. Any one who can fish a jig, is hard to beat... Tr

Post Thanks / Like

I love your screen name made me chuckle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psvec View Post
    I love your screen name made me chuckle

Netboy

Post Thanks / Like

I've been useing jigs for years. And the best thing i can tell you it's no different than fishig a worm on the bottom. As long as you can feel it on the bottom just drag it along. When it gets stuck pop it and usually get your strike then. Slow is the name of the game. When you think your fishing it slow slow down even more. I use mostly floro on jigs braid if the grass is thick with a floro leader. As far as color black n blue, green pumpkin n black. 3/8oz to 1oz depending on depth and current. Clear water no rattles colored water use rattles and at night. And jigs are a year round lure once you get it down you will learn that "Get the net" will be your favorite words..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psvec View Post
    Find a lake that you know there is a lot of bass on it and practice.
    I will add to this that it doesn't have to be a lake. Any body of water -- farm pond, creek etc -- that has lots of fish will do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    I will add to this that it doesn't have to be a lake. Any body of water -- farm pond, creek etc -- that has lots of fish will do.
    Never had any luck in a pond with a jig..

Post Thanks / Like

And don't forget the $$ you'll save verses other lures.