Search Fishin.com

Thread: Anybody tying?

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody tying?

I haven't since before Christmas but that is getting ready to change. Going to tie some Neversink Caddis and some Yellow Sallies for May in the Smokies and try and figure out what flies I want to take in late May/early June for a trip to BWCA.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anybody tying?

Got a Renzetti for Christmas (love my wife!) so I'm tying Barr's Slumpbuster right now, hoping this pattern will finally help me land a trophy on the Cumberland. Read a lot of good things about this pattern and I'm loving the squirrel skin zonkers compared to rabbit. The squirrel in my opinion makes for a better looking fly and is easier to work with. Stocking the fly box with plenty of prince's (my go to fly) and I finished up a mess of "hot glue" egg flies that will be ready for next fall's spawn. Can't wait for the Cumberland to get back to wadable water levels, looks like I'll be at the bench for a while-

BWCA - is that an acronym for the Boundary Waters?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger1979 View Post
    Got a Renzetti for Christmas (love my wife!) so I'm tying Barr's Slumpbuster right now, hoping this pattern will finally help me land a trophy on the Cumberland. Read a lot of good things about this pattern and I'm loving the squirrel skin zonkers compared to rabbit. The squirrel in my opinion makes for a better looking fly and is easier to work with. Stocking the fly box with plenty of prince's (my go to fly) and I finished up a mess of "hot glue" egg flies that will be ready for next fall's spawn. Can't wait for the Cumberland to get back to wadable water levels, looks like I'll be at the bench for a while-

BWCA - is that an acronym for the Boundary Waters?
    BWCA is the Boundary Waters.

I wanted a Renzetti, but had a hard time justifying the price. I ended up buying the Peak Rotary Pedestal that BPS sells. I have been very happy with it, but I am a marginal tyer at best.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been recently, but I need to get my butt in gear. The Old Hickory steam plant action is heating up, and the World Musky Tournament on the Collins River is at the end of March.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyfish View Post
    I haven't been recently, but I need to get my butt in gear. The Old Hickory steam plant action is heating up, and the World Musky Tournament on the Collins River is at the end of March.
    I may be down on Old Hickory in March fishing for bass for a magazine article. Thinking about bringing a couple of fly rods and some Clouser's.

Post Thanks / Like

Bass started hitting pretty good in March last year, but got really hot in April. I fished primarily with fly rods and did really good. Of course I live 8 minutes from the boat ramp, so the frequency of visits probably helped

Post Thanks / Like

I've been tying a lot of streamers here recently, as well as egg patterns and lighting bugs. They stocked some local waters here with 3-4 lb albino & rainbow trout...they are a blast to take on streamers! The water is crystal clear, and you can spot those big Albinos a mile away...its fun to watch them key in on your streamers, chase it down, and then just munch it! WHAMO!!!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been but I need to. Tim, tax refund comes in this Tuesday according to the IRS. We should arrange a meet/ sit down sometime soon. Better late than never right?