Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Presidential Authority to Reorganize & Consolidate Federal Government Offices?

Saw this article in one of my trade mags, "Tire Business"...

While I'm not sure whether or not it's a good or a bad idea, I'm not real sure what I think about giving the President the authority to reorganize and consolidate federal government offices without Congressional approval. (see the underlined comment in the article) The last President to have this authority was Reagan.

What say you?

Obama suggests cabinet-level business department

Tire Business staff report

WASHINGTON (Jan. 13, 2012) — President Obama is proposing to consolidate six agencies that deal with business and commerce — including the Small Business Administration (SBA) — into one agency and elevate the new entity to cabinet level.

The president said today consolidating these agencies, along with other related programs, would help entrepreneurs and businesses of all sizes grow, compete and add jobs. A consolidated department of this nature would focus on one mission: spur job creation and expand the U.S. economy.

The six agencies and departments targeted are: U.S. Department of Commerce’s core business and trade functions; the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative; the Export-Import Bank; the Overseas Private Investment Corp.; the U.S. Trade and Development Agency; and the SBA, the White House said.

The proposal follows recommendations made by a task force the White House established a year ago — the Government Reform for Competitiveness and Innovation — that gathered information from of businesses, independent experts, current and former cabinet officials and agency heads, union leaders, members of congress and their staff and tederal employees on ways government can foster business and economic growth.

A key finding of the task force’s research is that business owners said they are confused about where to go for assistance and often are unaware of services that would help them, particularly those trying to break into the export market for the first time.

Mr. Obama addressed the issue in his 2001 State of the Union address, noting that the federal government is a “maze of…agencies with overlapping services and missions, making it difficult for businesses — and especially small ones — to find the assistance they need to export, expand and hire.”

Mr. Obama disclosed his proposal today as part of a call to Congress to reinstate presidential authority to reorganize and consolidate the federal government, a request that he said would ensure swift action on his proposals to streamline government and eliminate duplication, waste and inefficiencies.

“We live in a 21st century economy, but we’ve still got a government organized for the 20th century,” he said. “Our economy has fundamentally changed — as has the world — but the government has not. The needs of our citizens have fundamentally changed but their government has not. Instead, it has often grown more complex.”

Mr. Obama likened having the authority to streamline and reform the executive branch to the sort of authority every business owner has over his or her company to make changes.

In making his request, Mr. Obama urged that any plan adoped must mandate a reduction in the number of government agencies or save taxpayer dollars.

To get the ball rolling, the White House plans to launch a website, BusinessUSA, that will be a virtual one-stop shop with information for businesses that want to begin or increase exporting.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Presidential Authority to Reorganize & Consolidate Federal Government Offices?

Well my first reaction is he is doing this for the following reasons: it's an election year and he is trying to appear as a reduce gubment waste guy for the casual voter. He has tossed more doubts in the economy and spent more money than past presidents but now he is looking to consolidate services? I doubt it.
    Rick Perry talked about doing away with some agencies and now obamy wants to do the same? Guess it wasn't important for the last three years huh?
    I also have to admit I couldn't even read the whole story because this mans opinion, voice, thoughts, pictures and videos make me sick. Sorry but I'm just being real and hope with all my being he doesn't get re-elected. He isnt anything I stand for and pretty much encompasses everything I dislike in people.
    Sorry Brian for straying from your post. Rant done!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Presidential Authority to Reorganize & Consolidate Federal Government Offices?

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Well my first reaction is he is doing this for the following reasons: it's an election year and he is trying to appear as a reduce gubment waste guy for the casual voter. He has tossed more doubts in the economy and spent more money than past presidents but now he is looking to consolidate services? I doubt it.
    Rick Perry talked about doing away with some agencies and now obamy wants to do the same? Guess it wasn't important for the last three years huh?
    I also have to admit I couldn't even read the whole story because this mans opinion, voice, thoughts, pictures and videos make me sick. Sorry but I'm just being real and hope with all my being he doesn't get re-elected. He isnt anything I stand for and pretty much encompasses everything I dislike in people.
    Sorry Brian for straying from your post. Rant done!
    Don, I'm pretty sure that I agree with you on all accounts here. LOL

It's election year BS by a POTUS that has spent money like its going out of style....but now wants to talk waste and government inefficiencies.