Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

another line question

first off i was given a spool of stren braid hi vis gold. my question is does that stuff turn clear underwater? if not i would think the fish could see that stuff a mile away.
    Next question I was given a spool of nanofil herd nothing but good can you use a cynch knot or do you have to use a polymer knot like on the ohter super lines.
    Thanks
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: another line question

Quote Originally Posted by bob46 View Post
    first off i was given a spool of stren braid hi vis gold. my question is does that stuff turn clear underwater? if not i would think the fish could see that stuff a mile away.
    Next question I was given a spool of nanofil herd nothing but good can you use a cynch knot or do you have to use a polymer knot like on the ohter super lines.
    Thanks
    Bob
    the knot that berkely suggests you use is the "nanofil knot", you can find it on berkely's website, it works. the palomar knot slips when you are cinching the knot and kind of worries me that it might be weakening the knot area, not sure about this maybe just in my mind.
    this stuff casts great and there is very little memory, it is not very abrasion resistant though, if you hang up in cover i suggest you inspect the line. im not an expert on this stuff i only have it on one spining rod right now, but having used it since late summer im pleased but i wont be running out to strip all the p-line off my reels.
    best of luck

Post Thanks / Like

I was once given a spool of what Berkeley called "Solar XT" mono. It was a chartreuse colored line that stood out like a sore thumb and would make gold braid look invisible by comparison. I used it on Lake Erie for smallies in water that was ultra clear, and it never even fazed those fish. They still bit like crazy. If the gold color bothers you that much, use a colored marker on the first 6' or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob46 View Post
    Thanks
    Bob
    I always use a flouro leader when jig fishing lately, especially if the water is clear. I think if you use a leader, the fish don't see your braid nearly as well as if you were using straight braid. Depending on water clarity, I'll use up to three or four feet leader length. The hi-vis line will help you detect those "on the fall" bites where your line just ticks or shoots off to one side.

Just my opinion.