Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Winter is a good time to respool and clean up your reels.

We talked about putting the boat away for winter but it's also a good time to take apart the reels and to clean them and inspect the parts for wear and tear.

And now is a good time to take the old line off the reels and replace it with new line so that they are ready to go next spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter is a good time to respool and clean up your reels.

From personal experience spooling now and leaving line for a few months normally means replacing again before you ever get to use it. Waste of line as it is curled really bad with the line memory in the fishing line would say wait for the week you are going to be going out fishing. How long do you leave line on the reel?

Post Thanks / Like

im still on line from 2010 on a few reels. still no issues

Post Thanks / Like

I found some U Tube videos about cleaning and maintaining the Shimano Reels. These were done by a Shimano Worker and very good. There were five videos in all.

While some might say that changing out the fishing line can wait it's better to be safe than sorry. Line wound on the spindle in the box is not much different in memory than winding the new line on your fishing reel during Feb or March. I mean when they make the new line it's spooled for you on a plastic arbor and don't you think that line will develop memory anyway? Is the diameter of the plastic arbor much different than the diameter of your fishing reels arbor spool?

Sure you can fish with one year old line but if you get a nick in that line or if it's exposed to the sunlight for too long last season it may not be as strong as new line and may break when you finally get that big bass hooked. Why take the chance.

Now I'm talking about Mono Filiment type lines not the super braids and other new types of fishing lines.

I am talking about lines like Stren Magnithin or or Stren Regular Mono.

I'm not sure how long the other type lines last of if they weaken after being out in the sun too long.

I had one fishing line that deterioted badly after only one summer of fishing. It was teh Berkley IRONSILK 8 lb test line. I left that line on my spinning reels too long and it started to fall apart on me.

Right now I think I have a lot of the PLine on my larger spining reels and then I have Stren regular 2 lb test on my ultralight pflueger Trion reels. I'm going to take the old line off these spinning reels and clean them up with some paper towls and Q tips with alcohol and then clean the drag disks on them before next April.