Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Falls of the Ohio

4 feet and 12 - 16 feet is not the water level rather the amount of water they are releasing. You can call 557-7056 and get the river recording at McAlpine which is updated every few hours to get the current levels and amounts being released at both dams (upper and lower) plus a forecast for the next few days. Riverrat is right on with there needs to be water flowing at the upper dam for good bank fishing but too much and it's crazy. I personally like even less flow say running 10 feet or less for bank fishing. You just have to drive over and experience the river at different times and flows and you will get in the groove...

kc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    4 feet and 12 - 16 feet is not the water level rather the amount of water they are releasing. You can call 557-7056 and get the river recording at McAlpine which is updated every few hours to get the current levels and amounts being released at both dams (upper and lower) plus a forecast for the next few days. Riverrat is right on with there needs to be water flowing at the upper dam for good bank fishing but too much and it's crazy. I personally like even less flow say running 10 feet or less for bank fishing. You just have to drive over and experience the river at different times and flows and you will get in the groove...

kc
    **** i'm confused again

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing compares to looking at the river and knowing what the forecast is, it does not compare to looking at a graph. It took an entire season for me to know how to rig up before I got there, but once you have an idea you can stay pretty safe. One more thing, when the river has been up for a while you can't just go wading into a spot you think you know, it might be totally different, a wading staff and a fishing partner are good ideas when the water is up and water is dirty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErikSmith View Post
    **** i'm confused again
    Ok say they have 12ft at the lower gauge...that's the water level, and then they have 5ft runnin at the dam more than likely it would be running 4ft at the lower dam and 1ft at the upper.Therefore equaling 5 ft total at dam. And that would be great sauger water.As kc mentioned the less flow the better with the upper dam for sauger, but during the winter less flow is hard to come by. good luck. Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard, KY, and thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it. Excellent info, riverrat, much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KYpondhopper View Post
    Riverrat12 I think that your cat fish catches rivals most on the river, i am a shade of envy. Thanks for the advise I will use it and try to stay clear of the pitfalls and sharp rocks. One question, if I wanted to fish the bank but didn't want to wade would I still have a decent chance. I will likely be fishing for sauger but almost always try to throw a pole in an eddy with something for cats while I cast. Also I was thinking about trying my luck on Monday so if you see a person in a green rain suit out there odds are if it isn't me then look for the other person dressed in a green rain suit.
    Yes there is plenty of areas to fish without waders. The rock shelf below the museum,fishermans point behind the museum parking lot, and the mud bank all the way back to Colgate creek. I am usually down on Fri.or during the week I don't fish during the weekends....Try to avoid any crowds.Good luck Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    Ok say they have 12ft at the lower gauge...that's the water level, and then they have 5ft runnin at the dam more than likely it would be running 4ft at the lower dam and 1ft at the upper.Therefore equaling 5 ft total at dam. And that would be great sauger water.As kc mentioned the less flow the better with the upper dam for sauger, but during the winter less flow is hard to come by. good luck. Chuck
    Ok so called dam number and the recording said 14 feet at the upper gage, and 34 feet at the lower gage. I imagine the flow and current is awfull. Is the upper gage the upper dam and the lower gage the lower dam? That seems like a stupid question as I write it, but I have never fully understood this. The weather .gov chart has the flow rate right now at something like 260 kcfs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErikSmith View Post
    Ok so called dam number and the recording said 14 feet at the upper gage, and 34 feet at the lower gage. I imagine the flow and current is awfull. Is the upper gage the upper dam and the lower gage the lower dam? That seems like a stupid question as I write it, but I have never fully understood this. The weather .gov chart has the flow rate right now at something like 260 kcfs.
    You are correct the flow is awfull.The upper gauge will be above the dams the lower below the dams...As mentioned before if you have upper gauge predictions the dams will be all out....a mess a water. Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board.

I have a few buddies that live for fishing that river from the bank. I'm not sure they have a specific fish there after though. I do know they have a blast regardless. in the past few weeks they have caught saugar, cats, striper, drum and those old Nasty carp. They fished the boat ramp today on the Indiana side? In Clarksville? Possibly? Anyway, they caught 50 + pounds of carp a few saugar and a few gar. Before the water began to rise they were catching drum and saugar adjacent to the locks on the Indiana side. I'm taking my bow down in the am to try for some carp from the bank. They said they were stacked thick today.

Also grab a map of the Ohio if you haven't already. With the fast water look for small inlets. They say thats where you'll find the fish. Be carefull though, on the Indiana side I'm not sure how far up you can get before the require a Indiana license.

How many trout did you catch?
    Good luck and have fun.
    Chuck

Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuckconder View Post
    Welcome to the board.

I have a few buddies that live for fishing that river from the bank. I'm not sure they have a specific fish there after though. I do know they have a blast regardless. in the past few weeks they have caught saugar, cats, striper, drum and those old Nasty carp. They fished the boat ramp today on the Indiana side? In Clarksville? Possibly? Anyway, they caught 50 + pounds of carp a few saugar and a few gar. Before the water began to rise they were catching drum and saugar adjacent to the locks on the Indiana side. I'm taking my bow down in the am to try for some carp from the bank. They said they were stacked thick today.

Also grab a map of the Ohio if you haven't already. With the fast water look for small inlets. They say thats where you'll find the fish. Be carefull though, on the Indiana side I'm not sure how far up you can get before the require a Indiana license.

How many trout did you catch?
    Good luck and have fun.
    Chuck

Chuck
    Didn't catch many trout they are all small in those stocked lakes/ponds. Still fun and better than setting in the house. I will post some of the ones I have caught in my album