Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Help on how to obtain sponsors

I have an idea on a tournament at Green, but the problem is, the format would be one where I would need to have sponsors in order to have any kind of payout. My question is, to the guys that have gotten sponsors for a tournament, how did you go about getting sponsors? I have a good interest from some in this format of fishing tournament, but I don't know how to go about asking for help without getting the door slammed in my face.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help on how to obtain sponsors

Just try... You're going to get the "door slammed in your face" a few times. The only way to get sponsors is to get out and pursue it. Best words I can give you as a previous club president for the UofL fishing team. It takes hard work just as anything else to be successful. Things are much tougher now than they were a few years ago. Businesses are looking for better ways to market their company/cause than to support an angler/tournament especially with the economy. Start with local businesses around Green/Cambellsville. That's essentially the target audience. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Ask for an amount. When I was the director of Fishers of Men, I would go out and ask for sponsors. Some said no, most agreed to give me something. I didn't get a whole lot though...

The next year I was a little more specific and got a lot more money and prizes dontated. I typed up a letter/brochure with different levels of sponsorship for different size donations. You also need to figure out what they will get in return... Will their name be mentioned, will it be on a banner or T-shirt. This will typically come out of their advertising budget so they will want to know how you are going to advertise for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. The up front cost on this format is rough. I may have to scale it back, but not sure just yet. I'm working with some people that have gotten sponsorship before and learning more on how to ask for help. I really am getting a good bit of response on my idea, I even have an organization that I can use it as a fundraiser for, I'm not in this for monetary gain, I simply want to put on a tournament that people leave saying, "That was fun, I can't wait to do it again!"

As far as advertising I've thought of their name mentioned throughout the day of the event, and their logo and information printed on the back of the flier that I will make for the tournament.
    Last edited by Astrobass; 01-24-2012 at 09:54 AM.