Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Trailer

Post Thanks / Like

Boat Trailer

I am wanting to take my boat off the trailer for a few days and do some long needed work, I got a plan, but wanting to know if you folks have done this before and how you did it.

Thanks
    Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by 410th View Post
    I am wanting to take my boat off the trailer for a few days and do some long needed work, I got a plan, but wanting to know if you folks have done this before and how you did it.

Thanks
    Billy
    LOTS can go wrong.......I did trailer work based around a fishing trip, and left the boat in the water.......Made it much easier. Axle work, and bunks. While I was at it, I also did some touchup painting on some areas that were showing wear.

later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Boat in the water is the best way to go

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to know too. Folks will tell you it is real easy to get the boat off the trailer in the garage. Boats are heavy. I've never taken the chance on taking it off the trailer at home.

Usually scope out a good boat ramp where the boat can be beached or tied without getting torn up for several hours and go there at sunrise.

Post Thanks / Like

If you know someone with a farm pond that you can launch the boat on and leave for the time you need to repair your trailor.

Post Thanks / Like

I painted the trailer for my old (84) Tracker a few years ago. This was done after I stripped the boat down to just the bare hull, so it was pretty light. First I jacked up the stern so it was off the bunks and let it back down onto a pair of jack stands. Then I ran a rope through the tie-down eyes and secured it to the trailer of my 21" Triton so it couldn't move forward. Pulled the trailer out from under the boat as far as needed, then jacked up the bow and let it back down onto some cinder blocks. It stayed in this position for probably 2 weeks while I painted the trailer, rewired it and installed new bunks. I don't know if this would be appropriate for a glass boat, but maybe there's an idea in there somewhere that you can build on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hairball View Post
    I painted the trailer for my old (84) Tracker a few years ago. This was done after I stripped the boat down to just the bare hull, so it was pretty light. First I jacked up the stern so it was off the bunks and let it back down onto a pair of jack stands. Then I ran a rope through the tie-down eyes and secured it to the trailer of my 21" Triton so it couldn't move forward. Pulled the trailer out from under the boat as far as needed, then jacked up the bow and let it back down onto some cinder blocks. It stayed in this position for probably 2 weeks while I painted the trailer, rewired it and installed new bunks. I don't know if this would be appropriate for a glass boat, but maybe there's an idea in there somewhere that you can build on.
    This is what I kinda had in mind, but I was going to run 4x4's cross ways for it to set on. The 4x4's are going to be setting on blocks so I can get the trailer out from under it. It will take a few days to get all the work done so I am wanting to leave it at the house. But you have me thinking.

Thanks

Billy

Post Thanks / Like

you should be able to find someone who keeps there boat in the water and has a trailer sitting around or a boat dealer who has a boat trailer you can borrow. launch your boat and switch trailers until you repairs are done. Also check with marinas for boat trailers to borrow.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've read on the net, it's a fairly simple procedure but I'd still prefer to launch the boat and then work on the trailer.

Just google removing boat from trailer for repair.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

I agree floating the boat is the safest and easiest way. I live in E-town, and the city has a small park lake with a ramp. They let me drop my pontoon in there and tied up to the dock for a couple days while I did mine.

But solely as a service to you, and only for the purpose of providing assistance, if you want to ramp your boat in at Cumberland Lake, Wolfe Creek Dam, I promise to take it fishing for 4-5 days while providing free 24 hour security for it. If that sounds good, please be sure to fill the fuel tank with gas and the livewell with shiners

Post Thanks / Like

Rent a boat slip somewhere for a couple of nights. Usually run $10-$15 a night...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    But solely as a service to you, and only for the purpose of providing assistance, if you want to ramp your boat in at Cumberland Lake, Wolfe Creek Dam, I promise to take it fishing for 4-5 days while providing free 24 hour security for it. If that sounds good, please be sure to fill the fuel tank with gas and the livewell with shiners
    I dont know why I did not think of this myself. All this for free!! I am planning on doing all the work at night, so I will have the boat in the water right after the sun goes down and will pick up at day light, Thanks Bob your a true friend.

Billy