Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

KDFWR calls special meeting to deal with Asian carp issue

The Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission will hold a special called meeting in Frankfort Feb. 3.

The meeting agenda contains one item: discussion of scaled rough fish harvest in the Asian Carp Harvest Program.

The special session will follow the Administrative, Fisheries and Wildlife Committee meetings. The first meeting begins at 8:30 a.m. Eastern time at the Arnold Mitchell Building, #1Sportsman's Lane, on the campus of the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources in Frankfort. The campus is located off U.S. 60 approximately 1½ miles west of U.S. 127.

Meetings are open to the public. For meeting agendas and schedules, visit the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife website at fw.ky.gov.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: KDFWR calls special meeting to deal with Asian carp issue

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    The Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission will hold a special called meeting in Frankfort Feb. 3.

The meeting agenda contains one item: discussion of scaled rough fish harvest in the Asian Carp Harvest Program.

The special session will follow the Administrative, Fisheries and Wildlife Committee meetings. The first meeting begins at 8:30 a.m. Eastern time at the Arnold Mitchell Building, #1Sportsman's Lane, on the campus of the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources in Frankfort. The campus is located off U.S. 60 approximately 1½ miles west of U.S. 127.

Meetings are open to the public. For meeting agendas and schedules, visit the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife website at fw.ky.gov.
    Can anybody provide a update on what was discussed at the meeting and any possible solutions that were considered to help eliminate the asian carp problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: KDFWR calls special meeting to deal with Asian carp issue

I haven't heard anything as of yet. To my knowledge KDFWR has not put out a press release concerning the meeting and I missed an opportunity on Saturday to ask a contact from the Department. I am planning on being in Frankfort on Friday, so I will see if I can find out anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    I haven't heard anything as of yet. To my knowledge KDFWR has not put out a press release concerning the meeting and I missed an opportunity on Saturday to ask a contact from the Department. I am planning on being in Frankfort on Friday, so I will see if I can find out anything.
    It been going on ten months now since the February 2012 meeting on the asian carp problem. Have there been any more recent meetings to address this issue? Has anyone at the KDFWR come up with a practical solution for dealing with the problem? A lot of people i often talk to have come to the conclusion that the fish are here and there is not to much that can be done about them other than just to put up with their presence and hope they dont totally destroy the sportfish populations.

I think turning them into a type of organic fertilizer would be a good option then have some of the big shot celebrity do gooders like Bill Gates and Bono pay the shipping for it to be sent to the poorer third world type countries to help them grow food and feed themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Press release on Asian Carp Meeting

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources will host a public meeting to discuss ways to limit the spread of Asian carp through a potential regulation change on the movement of live bait. This meeting is being held at the Kentucky Dam Village Convention Center in Gilbertsville at 7 p.m. (Central time) Monday, Dec. 3.

Asian carp, which include the silver carp and bighead carp species, have become major nuisances since their unintentional release along the Mississippi River several years ago. These nuisance fish have invaded several major Kentucky rivers and their tributaries, including the Ohio River. Asian carp also now inhabit the state's two largest reservoirs.

Asian carp threaten native fish species because they can outcompete them for forage. Asian carp also threaten Kentucky's ecological systems, recreational boaters, anglers, and the commercial and sport fishing industries. Asian carp are not only prolific, but they can adapt and live in almost any river or lake in Kentucky.

Asian carp can spread quickly if they are transported live and then used for food or live bait. Baitfish anglers who misidentify Asian carp as native shad or skipjack may unintentionally release these invaders into uninfected waters.

To reduce the potential for the unintentional spread of Asian carp, Kentucky Fish and Wildlife is considering regulations that will restrict all movement of live Asian carp, regardless of how they are caught or collected. Additionally, to address the issue of misidentification, the restriction of movement of all live baitfish from the water in which they are caught or collected to any other water body is being considered.

These proposals are either already in regulation or are being proposed in other states where Asian carp are established. No regulation changes concerning live Asian carp or native baitfish collection and movement has been submitted by Kentucky Fish and Wildlife officials at this time. The purpose of this meeting is to discuss these potential regulations with anglers interested in this issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shad-carp.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	4426  

Post Thanks / Like
    In a nut shell I would say... It is likely that somebody will unknowingly transport small asian carp say from the Ohio River to a lake like Nolin, Cumberland, Dale, Barren, Taylorsville to name a few mixed in with gizzard because the small Asian Carp look like gizzards. When you have a net load of 20 gizzards which are plentiful on the ohio it is unlikely that that an Asian carp will stand out.

Look at how the alewives got into Cumberland. They came from somebody's bait tank. Alewives sure changed the fishing. Asian carp will actually destroy it along with a good part of the recreation. Spend some time and google the topic if you can.

Here is a Bill dance video on the subject of transporting Asian Carp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkMtISRbvGg

It seems pretty obvious what needs to be done to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Commercial harvesting for either human food, animal feed or fertilizer needs to be seriously looked into.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everybit helps...

Off my soapbox..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyy-QQJmOzI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IronWorker View Post
    Commercial harvesting for either human food, animal feed or fertilizer needs to be seriously looked into.
    If you do that they will become monetarily valuable, then the next thing you know a group of wealthy and politically influential bozos would be trying to protect the carp and their fat wallets.